Garlic Scapes

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Grew some hardneck this year and they are forming nice scapes just about going into their first full circle. Do I harvest them now - do you cook them whole or cut them up - does anyone have any recipes?

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Westi, I believe they can make a scape pesto and hummus, can also be added to stir fries and soups, they are milder, giving flavour and aroma without the full strength of garlic cloves.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Westi
KG Regular

Nice texture with a good bite but lacking any garlic flavour - which of course might be the weather again! Made a bed of them and put on some cherry toms, oregano and Olive oil and roasted them until toms burst. Will try again next year as quite like the garlic itself which I am now hoping will bulb up more. (Well that's the plan) :D

Westi
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I decided they weren't worth the bother; I found mine both tough and lacking flavour. But I suppose they are a "free" extra if you are growing hardneck garlic. Mind you, this year my hardneck garlic has 1" bulbs and the scapes are covered in rust, so you've done better than me !
Colin_M
KG Regular

Tony Hague wrote:. Mind you, this year my hardneck garlic has 1" bulbs and the scapes are covered in rust, so you've done better than me !

Ditto with many of mine Tony. And they were doing so well up to early April.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic