Are these climbing or dwarf beans?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Hugely annoyed with myself. Forgot to label a tray of beans & can't now remember whether they're climbing or dwarf.
Any hints on how I can recognise which they are? They're currently about six inches high & just have two leaves.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i think you are going to have to wait until the climbers put out their growing tips.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

OH - you're probably right. As they're about to outgrow their tray I'm beginning to think I may have to pot them on individually to give the roots some wriggle room and then plant them on in the appropriate place when I get a better idea of what they're are. If I'd been more organised I would have saved myself this hassle! :(
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I know the feeling - the cat pulled all the labels out of my chillies and peppers, which isn't a problem to me but I was growing some hot hot chillies for friends and they probably won't appreciate a mild bullhorn pepper for their chilli party! (Their seed they got in Brazil as well to make matters worse). I'd just moved them out of the back room into the greenhouse and I knew where they were inside but they were jumbled up in a box to take them outside.

You'd think I'd learn as it is not the first time the cat has done this! :oops:
Westi
Westi
solway cropper
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Hugely annoyed with myself. Forgot to label a tray of beans & can't now remember whether they're climbing or dwarf.
Any hints on how I can recognise which they are? They're currently about six inches high & just have two leaves.

Just stick em in the ground and if they look as if they're going to climb give em something to hang on to.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
French beans carry their cotyledon on the plant above the ground and runner beans cotyledons are underground and as the beans are well through you should be able to ascertain which is which. If the cotyledons are not showing an exploritory delve, very carefully, you should then find the cotyledons under ground and they are your runners.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I read the question as being, Climbing French Beans and Dwarf French Beans.

But there is a very good chance that i have got it wrong. :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Johnboy - thank you. that's very helpful. Now if only there was a similar way of telling the difference between some pepper & chilli seedlings which have got mixed up !!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Cowslip,
Largely due to the advancement of age I am having very great difficulty with names and apparently reading forum postings. HO seems to see the word "French" in your first posting and even with two pairs of spec on I have failed miserably to see it.
Seriously though Primrose if I have given you the wrong information you have my sincere apologies.
Sincerely,
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Don't worry Johnboy - the beans were either Cobra climbing French beans or some yellow dwarf French beans. It's just that they were obviously due to be planted in different locations. I think I need a post-it note stuck on my head to remind me to label things properly in future. You always think you'll remember and then plant up another couple of identical trays. If they're different varieties of veg such as cabbage or tomatoes then it's generally no problem recognising what the seedlings are but when it's the same variety, it's not so easy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My problem is that i see things that aren't there, but can't see things that are there.....

Although that can be rather handy at times. :wink:

John
KG Regular

OH, I have a similar problem with my hearing. DW says that it is very selective. I don't know what she means!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Strange that, John. I have a similar problem. I have a theory that your hearing gets a flat spot worn in it at the pitch range of your partner's voice :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's nice to know it's not just me with sight and hearing problems.... :)

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
Being that you can see things that are not there how about you publishing next Tuesdays Euro Millions Lottery numbers or better still PM them to me! :wink: :wink:
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic