Pea Sticks

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

I ran out of stuff to use as pea sticks today so cut some fresh Birch that was just coming into leaf. I rubbed off the leaves as best I could but I'm sure more will sprout. I'm pretty sure Birch doesn't root but can there be any disadvantage in using it fresh like this?
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

None that I know of. The leaves will keep on growing for some while. Cheers, Tony.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, i don't see why there should be a problem, unless the sap in the sticks would be disagreable to peas.

When i cut Hazel pea sticks at this time of the year, the leaves always open, but they soon lose the battle.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Many years ago there were allotments across the road from here, and someone used poplar twigs for pea sticks. Needless to say they rooted and when the allotments fell into disuse formed a line of magnificent 70ft trees. They were cut down last year, and I must say it seems a lot lighter!

Your hazels should be OK though.

Another that roots easily is dogwood, but the red stems make very attractive supports for shorter plants and you can move and re-plant them when your peas have finished. I sometimes use them as an edging by bending them over and pushing both ends in, or twining them round each other. They are lovely and pliable when first cut.
glallotments
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Another that roots easily is dogwood, but the red stems make very attractive supports for shorter plants and you can move and re-plant them when your peas have finished. I sometimes use them as an edging by bending them over and pushing both ends in, or twining them round each other. They are lovely and pliable when first cut.

Buddleia is another one that seems to root just by coming into contact with soil!
Monika
KG Regular

i have used buddleia cuttings for our pea sticks for many years but I cut the buddleias in March, then bundle them up and the peas are only just coming through the groundnow, so by the time I use the sticks, they will have dried and died. I am sure none have ever rooted though we usually get crops of buddleia seedlings coming up in the pea bed!
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

I always use chicken wire for my peas to climb, plant each side along the row , works nicely.
Advantage is that you can either leave it in situ for next year or simply roll it up and use again somewhere else, and you have not to worry about getting rid of the old pea sticks .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic