The perfect shed

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Urban Fox
KG Regular

I now feel like a proper allotmenteer - As I now have a beautiful new shed. It arrived this morning, with two lads who put it up for me. It is a thing of beauty (all 8ft X6ft) :)

Trouble is - it is raining. so I'm sitting at home watching the rain and dreaming about how to kit out the shed.

I'll need a potting bench - oh and some shelves and lots of hooks - because i'm definitely going to keep it neat and city :wink: . I have a cool-box hidden away somewhere - that'll be good for cool drinks in the summer. 8) A comfy chair - only for when I'm waiting for the rain to stop.

My allotment neighbour has a camping stove for making tea and bacon butties.

So, what would be in your perfect shed?

Christina
Monika
KG Regular

Congratulations, Christina, on the new acquisition and have fun!

Yes, lots of hooks or nails are useful so that tools can be hung up rather than cluttering up the floor. As well as the usual gardening stuff, we also always keep a small equipment box (scissors, string, rubber bands, labels, pencils, small notebook, clothes clips, paper clips, craft knife etc) in the shed and, very important, a small First Aid box!

Ours is only 6 x 6, but we have two collapsible chairs for those rare moments of leisure and a cup of tea in the sunshine.
Westi
KG Regular

I know that feeling - great little retreat! Try to be creative and have things with a dual purpose ie: potting bench with a lid then you have the space for the camping stove etc. Also give it another coat of of finish and a few more screws than the lads put in when they put it up - this is a long time investment.

Westi
Westi
Jude
KG Regular

I remember how excited I was when my shed was finally erected, and it really does make one feel that one has arrived as an allotmenteer! The important thing, I think, is to make your shed your own, after all it will be your haven. I've got an old table which is useful for all sorts of things and also a small chest of drawers that was destined for the tip - this has proved invaluable for storage and keeps it all looking tidy. I would still like more hooks and things though.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Geoff
KG Regular

Mine is in a garden rather than allotment so perhaps doesn't count but it has a polycarbonate roof so acts as a giant cold frame, very useful.
Marigold
KG Regular

The one here is now the dogs' sleeping cabin... Hay thick on the floor for them..
Diane
KG Regular

A wind up/solar powered radio.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

My suggestions, watering can. kneeler, sunhat and a small first aid kit ? Garden planner / record book and pen. water butt and guttering to collect water if the tap is distant
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
John P
KG Regular

Hi Urban Fox,The only advice I can give you is,dont end up like me. I also had great intentions of keeping my shed tidy,after six months it ended up looking like the proverbial jumble sale stall,still its all mine.Now where is that trowel I put on the middle shelf?.
Compo
KG Regular

Mine has all sorts in it, but still has space to sit if needed, it has all my allotment tools, some hand tools like screwdrivers etc. String nuts and bolts, screws. Some paper sacks for the tatties when they are harvested, pair of wellies, tea coffee, and biccies oh and my kelly kettle, the best thing to have on your plot by the way, it boils water using twigs and scraps of wood.

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Beryl
KG Regular

I think we all have good intentions. I started off with the same ideas plenty of shelving, hooks, first aid box (essential) etc. Small folding table, 2 folding chairs for those rare moments for a coffe break but as for keeping it tidy, that soon went out of the window. Now it only gets tidy when it has it's annual clear out. Everything out, a good sweep and most of it goes back in again.

The main thing is enjoy your shed and have fun.

Beryl.
donedigging
KG Regular

I would love a shed,....but still under probation....
My car must look so amusing...
2 hoes, a rake , forks, spades and a watering can,
Oh and a trowel,chicken pelleted manure and gloves :)
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don't remember being there..... :) :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Urban Fox
KG Regular

Many thanks for all the great replies. At the moment I'm still planning :) I want to get some preservative on it - but it hasn't stopped raining long enough to do anything here.

interestingly - I was chatting to some of the other plot holders about shed security. Some lock up their shed - while others leave it unlocked to prevent damage from the thieves.

My feeling is - that a determined theif will get in - whether you have a padlock or not. But at least a lock will slow them down. I think the important this is don't leave anything too expensive/important in there.
Elaine
KG Regular

My husband built our shed with real timber and I reckon it will out live us! Lots of shelves, racks for the tools, a bench (which I can't use as said husband clutters it up with anything he can't be bothered to put away), gas bottle and camping stove and kettle, folding chairs. All the usual stuff...it's a functional allotment shed.

As for the lock, it's a simple thing. We figured, if thieves want to get in, they will, so there won't be much damage caused if they try to break in. To my mind, a big fancy lock advertises there might be something of value inside and invites further investigation by thieves. We never leave the strimmer or any power tools in there.

Some of the plot holders on our site have such fancy sheds, they are more like holiday chalets, complete with verandahs, sofas and the like....these always seem to get targeted by the thieves too.

I love our shed..it might be untidy and a bit mucky most of the year but it's a proper shed!
Cheers!
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic