Advice on Russian Kale

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

I've got some Red Ursa seeds that say to sow in April/May.

I thought most Kale grew to be ready through the Autumn & winter months. Is this variety very slow growing, or is it ready to pick earlier?
Geoff
KG Regular

We grow Kale Red Russian that is just starting to produce its flower shoots that we use like Purple Sprouting. Dear diary says I should sow it week of 20th April so that fits in with your instructions. I sow my Brussels Sprouts two weeks earlier than that if that helps with your timing.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I don't believe it is any slower to develop than other kale varieties. Winter greens need a fairly long growing season for them to develop sufficiently to endure the winter and have sufficient spare foliage for us to pick. You can harvest them much earlier if you wish. Indeed, Russian kale is included in many small-leaved salad mixtures.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Monika
KG Regular

I have grown Russian kale for many years (even before it became more fashionable) and I always sow it, together with my other autumn/winter/spring brassicas, about mid/end April. I start harvesting the kale quite early, in fact, the moment it shows some decent leaves, and then continue through winter and early spring. I have just recently pulled up the last plant from last year because the tops went rather yellow (obviously didn't give them enough nitrogen!) and I wanted the space.
Very useful vegetable!
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks all of you - I have grown it around 5 years ago, but forgot the details. So by the sound of it, it will be in the ground for up to a year?

I need to consider if that's viable (small plot). Thanks again
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I grow mine the same as Monika, and although it is in the ground for up to a year, don't forget you can be harvesting it for many months. I start by taking one or two leaves from each plant while they are still nice and tender. They stand without doing much over winter and then send out lots of new growth in early spring when a lot of the other winter veg is finished.
Marigold
KG Regular

I think this is what we call Raggedy Jack Kale? As previously I have lived in more northerly counties, this is the first year it has behaved as it should; to fill that gap in the early months of the year.

I bought a small packet of seed ten years ago from Irish Seedsavers, and save the seed each year.. someone here is eating the flower heads? If you le t them grow, they will provide seed in large numbers. I have never needed to buy more seed and always have a large patch of kale. Still harvesting now even when it is going to flower.. Healthy tasty greens.. I had some on the stall on St Patrick's day and sold it,
alan refail
KG Regular

For what it's worth, just to be awkward, I sow Red Ursa in modules at the beginning of the second week in September, pot on and plant in the polytunnel late October/early November. Well ready for cropping now and over the next month or so, especially for flower shoots.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
In the past I have always grown Red Russian Kale as a dual purpose plant and sown around now for summer salads, using the new leaves, and as summer greens lightly steamed.
I always used to grow Pentland Brig for the side shoots which are very similar to Broccoli Spears as well as the top growth for winter greens.
I must confess it never entered my head to sow again later in the year and use your method. Maybe this is the year to start.
JB.
Marigold
KG Regular

When we were up in northern mountains, things did inot run true to season so I had raggedy jack kale at odd times. Here, it is running true; just going to seed now and I have seed from the last crop ready to sow. Still eating it often using the lower leaves.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Where can you get these seeds? Don't seem to be in the 'normal' range of most catalogues. T&M have a Scarlet Kale but presumably different? I tried Cavolo de Nero last year but very disappointing crop. Dwarf Green also so-so the previous year.
Geoff
KG Regular

My 2005 packet, only use a few each year, is from Wallis and they still sell it.
http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/details.p ... 6+Purchase
Monika
KG Regular

it's also sold as Ragged Jack, Colin. And once you have got it, let one plant go to seed and you will have it for evermore! I was given some seed many years ago and have saved them every year since then.
Marigold
KG Regular

Monika wrote:it's also sold as Ragged Jack, Colin. And once you have got it, let one plant go to seed and you will have it for evermore! I was given some seed many years ago and have saved them every year since then.

Same here.. always a generous supply of seeds. I think I have spare if anyone gets desperate?
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks Marigold and Monika. Monika, have answered your email though still in my outbox. Wasn't there something about them staying there until read? Seems such a daft system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic