Rattie Potatoes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bren
KG Regular

Do any one grow rattie potatoes now?, the last time we grew them was in 2007 they all got blight and every year since I look for them in the garden centres (which we have alot of around the midlands) but none seem to stock Rattie.
Anyone know where I might find some.
Thanks
Bren
peter
KG Regular

The wonders of Google search reveal the Alan Romans and Thompson & Morgan list Ratte. As do other places.

Just make sure you spell it correctly, I thought from the title that you had a storage issue. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I would have spelt it, Rattie, too. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

I have just ordered rattie from T&M never grown them before, hopefully all will go well and will let you know how I get on

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Bren,
grow Anya instead, same flavour, better yields. Bred for our climate and grows really quickly so it is mature before the blight if planted as early as possible. For me this is the First week of March, chitted or not in they go. Even just a fortnight later and I have trouble obtaining a crop.
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with Sally - grow Anya instead. Lovely taste and, to my mind, slightly more regular tubers, too. I believe Ratte is one of its parents (is Desiree the other parent?).
Arnie
KG Regular

Anya is a cross between Desiree & Pink Fir Apple and named after Lady Sainsbury as it was created for Sainsbury supermarkets

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I think Ratte has a better flavour and texture than Anya, but Anya is easier to obtain and tastes OK. I've not noticed a problem with blight, and the Ratte keep very well over winter.
Bren
KG Regular

Thanks everyone , Peter I phoned T&M about the Ratte but the p&p was high £4.95 on top of the price of Ratte, a bit too costly for me.

Sally & Monica we did grow Anya one year I went back on my husbands's notes he kept since 1999 but can't find them mentioned, it must have been before that year as we had an allotment since 1988/9.
Ratte is mentioned every year with very good and one year as brilliant results till 2007 when they got the blight.

I try not to spray.
Bren
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic