Carlin peas - dried

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've grown these for the first time this year and got a good crop of dried peas.

I soaked some and made Pease pudding for the first time and it was really tasty, but I was wondering what else they can be used for. They aren't a particularly attractive colour when cooked - rather like peanut butter.

I used a Delia recipe and cut down the cooking time by using the pressure cooker, so it didn't take too long.

I can answer my own question now, I've just found four recipes for dried peas in the Heritage seed library Catalogue

Traditional, Creamy Dried peas with mint, Vicki's Dried pea falafel, and Dried Pea Humous (their spelling).

I'll post the recipes if anyone is interested.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

OOP North (mainly the Eastearn seaboard) they maintain a "Carlin Sunday". Look it up, you may find it interesting. Cheers, Tony.
John
KG Regular

Carlin Sunday is followed by Fartin' Monday, I believe.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Marigold
KG Regular

Been growing Carlin for years, after getting seed from Irish Seedsavers. As we have had 6 moves, we have rarely had enough to dry. Most get eaten raw off the vine or saved for the next garden as we have done this year. The flavour is second to none and the flower, lilac and pink, is so attractive. Maybe next year....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic