bread

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone :D

I have started to make bread again, I have a bread maker but I prefer just to use it for the mixing, after I have mixed everything together do I need to kneed it :? or do I just set it aside to raise, also once it has risen do I have to knock it back and let raise again, the first one was like a brick and almost blunted the knife :lol:

Regards

Arnie :oops:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Arnie,

I suppose that whether or not you need to knead (no puns intended!)depends on what exactly the "mixing" program on the breadmaker is meant to do! How long does that program last?

Kneading is essential to give your bread its elasticity, so unless the machine is doing this already, you definitely need to do it, and as your last loaf wasn't good, this is the first thing to look at.

I have just made some bread myself today, and to be honest, there is not really any mixing involved - having added my yeast, salt and water to the flour, I just got my hands in to bring it together and to knead.

After the first kneading, leave the dough to rise , then yes, it is best "knocked back", although the instructions on the yeast sachets miss out this stage.

Knock it back, shape it/put it in tins, then leave to rise again before baking.

There are several factors that can make bread brick-like: I make some sourdough bread yesterday and it went in the bin (with a heavy thud!!!), it was so bad. I am pretty sure that my starter (sourdough equivalent of yeast) was to blame.
Is your yeast fresh? Is it the right sort for the method you are using? Did you use strong/bread flour? Are you using a recipe that you have used before?

Finding the right combination of factors that produces a great loaf for you can take time, but stick at it - keep trying different things until you find what works, because nothing beats a lovely fresh, soft loaf. :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Mouse :D

I am not sure what happened with the first loaf :shock: anyway made a second loaf and this time paid more attention to what I was doing, I used 650g of strong bread flour,(white) 10g salt, 4 tablespoon of olive oil and 15g of allinsons dried active yeast, reactivated the yeast with teaspoon of sugar in tepid water and then placed everything in the bread machine which mixed it all together for 10 minutes.

Then gently knead it for a couple minutes and placed in bread tin to raise for an hour or so, then in the oven gas mark 7 for about 40 minutes, resulting in a much better loaf so I am very pleased with myself :D
next time I will let the dough raise and then knock back for a second time to see if this would make my loaf better.

Thank you for your help with this :P

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

We were the 'grateful' recipients of a bread maker and I thought the fully auto loaf was quite good using dry yeast. Tried the dough setting, still quite good but still using dry yeast, but missing something.

On a trip to a local town infested with 'natural' shops we managed to find some fresh yeast. Very impressed with the result using fresh yeast. Even left some yeast in the 'fridge far longer than suggested and it still gave a cracking loaf using non auto methods.

Half and half flour with seeds, scrummy. And my Mam told me not to eat bread the same day it was made as it gave you tummyache, the fibber ! I'll have the Grandsprogs arms covered in flour at his next visit. Cheers, Tony.
Stephen
KG Regular

I, too, received a bread maker as a hand-me-down, Worked very well for while. The rotating paddle gave up (it locked solid) after a while and I have yet to replacve it, as the local baker http://www.simmonsbakers.com/ are very good.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
peter
KG Regular

Stephen, we used to have one of those,.now the only proper baker round here is http://www.dorringtons.com/, but they're really good.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic