Logging on

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

For some reason I am having to log in everytime I open up this web site. It only started recently and I have ticked the box that says log in automatically. When I go into it again it is unticked. Any suggestions.
peter
KG Regular

Is your browser being more aggressive about deleting cookies?
Alternatively are you browsing "In Private"?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Catherine
KG Regular

I was messing around with various things I dont know about on my laptop to make it a bit quicker as it is really slow at the moment so now you come to mention it I think I have messed too much. :oops: I will have to look at what I did and try to make it right. Thanks Peter.

As you mentioned Private Browsing, Peter can you tell me how I can protect my browsing when looking at various websites for booking flights. Someone told me recently that if you look at a site and then go back again the price of the flight can go up because they are following you viewing! I dont know if this is true but I want to look at flights going to Bergerac and dont want this to happen when I start looking seriously.

My OH has looked at a website tonight on flights and then gone on to ebay and has just shown me that all down the right hand side of the screen it is showing flights to Bergerac. :shock: Sorry for the change in subject but it is important to me. I am sure it will be moved (as my rice/ flour got moved (thankyou)
peter
KG Regular

In ie8 when you open a new tab (window within internet explorer) it should offer you the option of "in private" which the opens a new copy of ie8 which does not record any history or cookies.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

KGAdmin
Site Admin

Looking for flights? I now always use www.kayak.co.uk - basically a price comparison site, but a very good one.
I regularly fly to USA, and one of the sites that comes out top in many cases (and I end up booking with) is Opodo.

It's all very well running private browsing and constantly removing cookies - but they do perform a vital function, and remember in 99% of the cases - cookies are working for you - not spying for other reasons!

This site uses cookies to track your login (ie that you are logged in from page to page - NOT what actual pages you goto, or logging or such)

Classic Magazines - our subscription site uses cookies for the basket, and to remember your postal area options, to remember offercodes you've entered - and without them it just wouldn't work.

There is tighter legislation coming in to control cookies - and more especially cross domain cookies (those that remember your details as you move from website to website). Sites will be forced to inform you and allow you to opt out of having a cookie set - but of course doing so will effect your ""Browsing experience" (hate that term).

Anyway! To help speed up your PC ensure your recycle bin is emptied - run the disk cleanup util on windows - and when you have time to leave the PC running for a while - run the disk defragmenter (this can take several hours to run)

KGAdmin
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm so ignorant! Can somebody please tell me what "private browsing" is. I'm sure it's not just looking at various websites without somebody peering over your shoulder ?? :lol:
I do occasionally have the same logging in problem on this site as Catherine.
peter
KG Regular

Primrose, it leaves no visible trail on your pc.
So if you were looking at a website you didn't want your other half to know you've been on, it won't suggest the sit when he types the initial letters and it won't be in the history.

Primrose
KG Regular

OK - not that I've got any secrets from my OH, but just as a matter of education, what do you actually have to do to to achieve this. You're talking to a near computer illiterate here, so baby explanation steps please !
peter
KG Regular

See my post of Monday in this thread.

Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you for that information, now all I have to do is remember what I did to make this work and then undo the blessed thing. I thought private browsing stopped websites seeing you on the site and then bombarding you with information. (Well it shows how much I thought I knew about this computer). When I have five minutes :lol: I will have to sit down and undo it.
Catherine
KG Regular

Just found five minutes :shock: and found : Options : Privacy : Accept Cookies : keep until : I close Firefox (I should have left it at : Until they expire) so I have changed it back and hopefully everything will work. :D
DIGRAY
KG Regular

:? Hope it all worked out for you Primrose, I"m new to this site, so going very slow but sure !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic