Horseradish

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

wessie
KG Regular

I am growing Horseradish in a very large tub, what I would like to know is, if I get rid of the horseradish completely can I grow anything else in that soil or will the horseradish keep trying to grow.
Westi
KG Regular

Little bits break off and keep growing but luckily it is in a pot so you should be able to get all the soil out including all the horseradish then put in fresh compost and go for what ever you wish to plant in there. I had mine in a pot but the blighters snuck through (or made) a hole in the bottom so it is growing all along the side of the shed, luckily nothing else grows there so not a problem.

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

It depends if you can remove the horseradish in one piece Wessie, any left in could regrow, after removing the horseradish refresh the soil with some compost or fertiliser. If space is a problem, consider stacking three pots in graded sizes small stacked on med stacked on largest, pots with a narrow base and wider tops work best, each pot drains into the one below which saves water. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

I have posted this just in case it may be of use to anybody.
This method works very well if you stick to what is said.
You must repeat the proceedure every year without fail.JB.

NON INVASIVE METHOD OF GROWING HORSERADISH

Plant your individual Thongs 2’ (60cm) apart and allow to establish the first year.
At the end of the first season clear all plant debris and weeds from the area and build a box 12”x12”x12” (30x30x30cm) with no top or bottom. Place the box over the crown centrally and insert 2-3” (50-75mm) of compost over the crown and top the rest of the box up with sharp sand. You will need a box for every thong.
The following Spring the Horseradish will send up several heads and these are new thongs. At the end of the season when the plant is dying back remove the box and pick ALL the thongs from the crown. You must pick all the thongs irrespectively if you want them all or not or the system breaks down. When you have you young succulent thongs simply repeat the system again Box over the crown, compost and sharp sand.
If you need Horseradish urgently during the growing season it is possible to unearth a thong and take as much as you need.
NEVER allow Horseradish to flower and at the first sign of inflorescent cut them from the plant. DO NOT dispose of on the compost heap always burn them.
DO NOT dispose of unwanted surplus thongs on the compost heap either pass on to another gardener explaining the method or destroy. Suggest you allow drying out and burning them.
In the unlikely event of growth outside the box if you have it centrally positioned simply keep hoeing it down and deal with the source at the end of the season when harvesting.
When processing Horseradish remember to do so in an unconfined area and be aware that it will affect your eyes at about the strength Onions x 10! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic