Which beetroot?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

Which is the best variety of beetroot, for planting now, in a raised bed?
And when will it be ready?
Thank you.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

I hope I am wrong for your sake, Diane, but I think it's a bit late to sow beetroot now. I sow ours in April/May and usually grow "Monika" from D T Brown because it does very well for us, not because of the name.

Perhaps you are ok for sowing now in Dorset!
Diane
KG Regular

Yes, it is a bit late but down south it's always worth giving it a go. I've nearly eaten all the spring crop - so wondered if it was worth trying a late crop. Maybe I should think of something else to put in the space?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Diane, our local farmer grew burpees golden beetroot, if the globe doesn't get very big you can still eat the leaves like spinach, they're really tasty as greens. If you do manage to produce the beetroot in time you will have two crops in one, if not you will still have some nice greens. The leaves are more lush than normal beetroot :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Hi, like the other respondants, I think that it's a bit late to sow and expect a crop, but as mentioned beetroot leaves are a treat - almost worth growing for them alone. Cook as spinach. We had some tonignt with fried mackerel, nicola potatoes (home grown, of course) and the beetroot itself dressed with allspice, olive oil and lemon juice !!! mmmmmmm
Diane
KG Regular

Hi - many thanks for your helpful replies. I think I'll have a go at sowing a row of the golden beetroot - never tried them before. Many thanks.

(I love this website :D ).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic