Pampas Grass

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jethrotattydrill
KG Regular

I have 3 clumps of Pampas grass to remove. I call them clumps but they are at least 3ft wide at the base. Does anyone have any tips - or is it just going to be very back breaking work?
Thanks in advance.
Geoff
KG Regular

No easy solution apart from a mini-digger! Could try cutting down, opening up the middle a bit and trying to burn with some hydrocarbon help.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Jethro, and a belated warm welcome to the forum. :) Options -

1. Wear gloves and bind the leaves round to avoid getting hands shredded, then dig under from the outside. You may need to re-dig if small pieces are left in.
2. If you choose burn take care, very inflammable if dry and could catch other things in the vicinity.
3. Some choose glycophosphate but this eventually leaches into our water supply, and can contaminate other plants in the vicinity. Ecotoxicity...

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Che ... cotoxicity
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
arthur e
KG Regular

Hi Jethro, Have just done it the hard way, A big axe aiming at the plant/ ground junction at 45Deg slowly working around it. The biggest problem was trying to miss the chickens who were determined to catch anything living in there.
Arthur
jethrotattydrill
KG Regular

Thanks to all. Looks like this will keep me out of mischief for a while.
J
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic