Heating Oil Tanker and Planting

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daisyduke20
KG Regular

Hello. I am new to gardening and have set up my first herb and vegetable patches in raised beds. They are growing really well and am truelly happy how much enjoyment I get from it. I would now like to venture and plant in the beds that are around the house. However, in my garden we have our heating oil tanker that is situated right next to a bedding area.

Does anyone know of good plants that can with-standard the clay (ish) soil and not be harmed by any potential oil leaks. I am also at the same time trying to distract from the ugliness of the tanker, so a shrub or small tree would be great.

Thanks from a newbie.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Daisyduke20, a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Firstly, glad to read you are enjoying your garden so much.

Regarding your oil tank, if you do get oil into your soil, i'm afraid i don't think there is any plant that would survive that.
There is often a smell of oil from these tanks, but that is only coming from the breather.

Have you thought about screening the tank with dwarf fruit trees or bushes!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Daisyduke20
KG Regular

Hi,

The oil tanker isn't leaking at present. I'm just dubious about planting things for any future mishaps. I like the idea of the dwarf fruit trees though I may give them a try.

Thanks for the help.

DD
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Another warm welcome Daisy, sounds like you are enjoying your garden :D The tanks are pretty strong and i have never heard of one leaking, but perhaps you could get your tank checked over to reassure yourself if it is old one ?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Compo
KG Regular

Just to clarify, if it is an old steel tanker, eventually the bottom will rust out and need changing, however, if it is plastic, less likely, if it is metal it is unlikely to go straight away, your boiler mechanic should inspect it every year, if it is metal it will seep rather than burst when it starts to rust

And yes i would agree, a fruit tree grown in espalier would be good, as would raspberries etc, but none of these are ever green remember.......

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Daisy,
if you have got the space to pin it down put a pea and bean net on the tank and grow some climbers over the top. Google evergreen climbers for ideas. Or actually grow peas and beans. try to choose something that will not be too invasive and is capable of being unhooked or cut down if replacement or maintenance is required.
regards Sally Wright.
peter
KG Regular

If its a tanker then it should be on wheels or a hull......

Given the price of scrap any passing traveller will probably take it away for you. We have a regular traditional chap, rings a bell out the window as he trawls the streets on the weekend.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Daisyduke,
A climbing plant such as Jasmin beesianum on a light trellis which is easily cut down and the trellis easily removed for any remedial work to be carried out. This way you have a very effective screen that gives you a wonderful display of pink flowers over a very long period. If cut down Jasmine beesianum regrows at a very rapid rate without being invasive.
This way the tank is unencumbered and accessible.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic