rhubarb no show

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bigpepperplant
KG Regular

I planted some rhubarb for the first time last autumn (Stockbridge Arrow) and so far nothing has come up – not even a tiny shoot. Is this normal...?
pigletwillie
KG Regular

My rhubarb crowns are just showing buds about to break but these are hidden just under the soil. Be a bit more patient and they should show.

Piglet
Last edited by pigletwillie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

aha... thanks
Jude
KG Regular

Mine's about 4 inches high now which has suprised me as it hasn't been at all mild here lately....am guessing it must be due to the thickness of the manure I put around the crowns just before Christmas.
John
KG Regular

Hello BigPepper
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Stockbridge Arrow is pretty tough stuff. Mine has hardly moved yet. How deep have you planted it? The top of the crown should be at about soil level. It won't do any harm to scrabble about in the soil over the crown to see if you can find any sign of life.

John

PS Don't be tempted to pick anything in the first year after planting. Give the crown get a good chance to get really well established this year.

Hi John
I chucked a whole load of well-rotted manure in and planted them so the top of the crown was about an inch below the surface. I'll have a dig around...
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Bigpepperplant - we have nine rhubarb plants, with six showing pink shoot colour, but still flush with ground and three with no sign of anything yet. Of the six 'showing' three are well established and three were crowns taken from old established plants at our allotment and planted in Autumn last year. Both un-named varieties. The three not showing shoots at all yet, are the Timperley Early variety and were purchased and planted from pots, last Autumn also. We have grown these before and have no concerns that they are not yet showing. I am sure as others have said, your rhubarb will flourish forth when it is ready.
John
KG Regular

Hello again BigPepper
From what you say it looks as though you have done all the right things - adding manure and so on. I think you'll just have wait now for nature to take its course. Once it begins to show give it a good handful of growmore or some other balanced feed. If you get your crowns well established in their first year you can look forward to many subsequent years of great rhubarb. SA is great for forcing - lots of deep pink succulent stalks.

John

PS Don't pull any stalks in your first year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic