Late Summer Bit and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Saving bean seeds for next year
Does it really matter if some over matured nibble beans are removed from the plants now to dry indoors rather than being left on the vines to mature and go brown?

Mr primrose is having to do al the bean licking & caing now and qi,m worries if we don't select some suitable beans noe, everything may suddenly be stripped down and tossed on the co post heap and the seed selecting opportunity will be lost.

Will "knobbly" beans collected & dried now be mature enough to dry and save for seed?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I should think they would be fine, Primrose….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Look out Old H' there's a Hurricane coming... ;)

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Got chastised slightly in the local shop for my knowledge of aircraft by some really elderly chap. Now he knew his planes & it was very interesting listening to him. The silver one with the big noise was the Typhoon Euro Fighter, oh well at least I can ID the Red Arrows! :)

Getting well warm again so back to watering tomorrow, hoping to get down really early & home early before it really kicks in. Factor 30 packed!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Makes your hair rustle like pea straw out there today…🙂

Clive.
KG Regular

We've been on yew hedge cutting..and it's been mighty warm...got one section all finished....but that's just a warm up for all the front garden....

Did you see the Hurricane, Old H'...it looked to pass straight over you..

C.
Geoff
KG Regular

Finally pruned the Summer raspberries yesterday. Whilst thinking the canes I was tying in weren't as strong as what I was cutting out I thought how silly the annual advice is. Every year they tell you to cut out the old canes and tie in the new, you can recognise the old canes as they are darker in colour. Is it just me or don't you cut out the canes with string round them?
Westi
KG Regular

:) Geoff!

I go by the colour of the stem as mine have been migrating all over the place, the neighbours are happy they have snuck under the fence as saved them some £'s & time. The summer & winter are all mixed in the beds. I was ruthless with clearing them early this year as it was too congested. Initially it looked really bare, but filling out already, unfortunately no idea what they are going to turn out as all small. Anyway of telling the difference when small??
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

You guys have lost me. Summer? What summer? Maybe I blinked and missed it.

Well, were into September now - autumn.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I missed your post, and the Hurricane too, Clive.🙂

Waiting for it to get light, so I can get started, so I can beat the heat a little!

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Summer is still hanging on here, though cloudier today and 17 degrees instead of 25 like yesterday, we cut the grass between us, I go up the steps to do the tall hedges, the small shed has had it's wood treatment done, so we are doing ok.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Summer is showing again down here. Went for a mooch around the garden centre & a bite of lunch there with some friends. The prices were well scary in their cafe, just under £10 for a toastie! Bag of crisps & a coffee for us all after I revived Mr! :)

Took them down to the plot afterwards to get them some bits & the tunnel temp said 41C, car temp was 31C. Apparently here until the middle of next week! I will go down early for a couple of hours tomorrow, as have some new membrane to replace down the shaded end & of course the obligatory watering, fortunately I have topped up all the butts.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Give you an idea of the summer we've had, I haven't topped up the water butts once, the rain off the greenhouse kept them full, last year I had to fill them twice.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It’s Old Codgers Birthday today….he is 84 and still does a good job of his 2 allotments…..

See the Swallows are starting to gather, so I don’t suppose it will be long before they are off on their holidays….

retropants
KG Regular

I am about 2/3rds of the way to that age OH, and I struggle with my little garden plot. So I say happy birthday to Old Codger and good on 'im! Long may he continue :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic