Long awaited Spring Bits and Bobs…

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Forecasted from -2 to 2 for last night got 5.6 in green house.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How cold was it there last night Burnie?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

With 0.1 inside the greenhouse it was probably around minus two outside, it's a north wind and there's fresh snow on the hill tops so it still feels raw out there, we just had a brief hail shower!!
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Oooo eck that’s chilly….nice here when the sun is out but, the North wind has a real nip to it….

Westi
KG Regular

Got lucky again - I suspect I will pay for it, but is the cloud cover that is the saving grace. Still being careful abut what I am sowing & planting outside but I did put the tom plants in the tunnel today. Put a trial lot of the biggest plants in a week or so ago & they are perky & enjoying the heat in the tunnel so these should be fine as caught up in size well being on the staging in there so used to the temp. I need the space on the staging is the main reason, as I have sown quite a few things like lettuce & squash in trays which I never usually bother with & just direct sow.

Just watched the weather on the news & Spain is expecting 38C, fortunately that is not coming North to us as I expect our plants would just die! Probably theirs will too - another tomato & cucumber shortage in the making?? Best nip down quietly before the press put 1 & 1 together & cause the usual sell out & limitations. ;)
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Nil done today that was garden related, instead sat at home waiting for the garage to ring to say car is ready to collect. Just one of those silly little computer messages that dive you bonkers popping upon the screen; but when it came lunch time & no phone call you have to think the worst & when you have to ring them late afternoon as silent, it's pretty guaranteed the bill is going to be high. It has been admitted overnight as parts needed - eek! £££'s!

We bought the car second hand as had be converted already with ramp & floor locks etc. & really low milage. It carried disabled children to school. Turns out when they fitted the floor locks & seat belts they moved a bit of the fuel tank to allow that but fuel now can't flow properly - was more important sounding than that when they told me but my non driving or technical brain read it like that. Error P1343 is a mystery as well, but wouldn't be surprised if that is more related to the bill not the diagnostic error code!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi when we had our pensioners bungalow up in the hills in Spain my wife as always had to have her garden in one corner I was allowed to plant tomatoes they came every year with out fail they survived the heat even when we tried to hide from it they survived the drought when we were not there even though I tried all types of watering systems we even had people turn the tap off they thought they was doing us a favour even the grapes seem to survive
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If Shallot Man doesn’t soon put a post on here, i’m going to send the heavy's round!😀

Stravaig
KG Regular

Send me! I'm not heavy but I'm a bit of a rufty tufty.

Oh, where is Emperor Shallot?
Clive.
KG Regular

Decided that the temperatures being a bit more positive this evening that the tomatoes needed to be planted in the tired old greenhouse.

I remember when dad used to set them out that if we went in for a look at his planting we were detailed to get the door shut quick, to cut that draft..he would be horrified at the draft round the eaves this evening.!

Cars were frosty white at 6:15am this morning but before heading out to work I put the tomatoes into the greenhouse for the day...bit of a quick hardening but if they were any longer in the house front room they would soon be getting frem..

C.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My tommies are getting stressed even with a heater, next week looks frost free, but it's swing from high to low that knocks them back is making me keep them in the conservatory, but without the heater I think now.
retropants
KG Regular

A snail marauded through my tomatoes in the greenhouse last night. Only a couple survived.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Poor Mrs Pants. It's really awful when your pride and joy gets destroyed by pests. You wouldn't grudge them one tomato but they'll take a small bite out of everything. :evil:
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Time enough to sow some more, but it is heart breaking when things set against you, we have all had some sort of similar thing over the years, but we are resilient lot, us gardeners.
robo
KG Regular

I’ve taken all mine down to the plot this morning, far to many for my 12 feet pollytunnel I’ve still got the tumbling Tom for my hanging baskets
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic