GREENHOUSE BEDS

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

The beds in my greenhouse look a bit tired, they have been loaded with manure over the years but it looks a bit thin and dusty now, I plan to replace it with a mixture of good soil of the plot and well rotted manure, spreading what I take out elsehwere on the plot, any thoughts on this plan?

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Appearances can be deceptive. Is you soil looking a bit thin and dusty because it's not being watered at the moment? If your crops are still growing well in it, then leave it be. It sounds like it has been well looked after, after all.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Test the soil for its Ph (or is it pH)? My raised beds in the greenhouse look just the same, but dig down a couple of inches and it's luverly. Cheers, Tony.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Kleftiwallah,
It is parts Hydrogen therefore pH but PH is generally accepted so it really matters not. 'H' is the chemical symbol for Hydrogen hence the capital letter.
JB.
Compo
KG Regular

I have a couple of choices

I could change it (not a big job as the Greenhouse is only 10 x 6)? Or just top it off with some new manure maybe? Dont want to really do a PH test

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
retropants
KG Regular

ours always look dry and dusty when not in use, but has plenty of goodness added annually. we soak it well 2 weeks before planting and it looks lush and rich again!
Elaine
KG Regular

I agree with the others Compo. I had thought about doing the same thing last year, but new stuff gets added to the soil each year and the crops were thriving. In the end, I took out a spade depth of the top most soil last year..it was a bit too high anyway..and the soil underneath was brilliant. My toms and cucumbers grew as well as ever last year.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic