Allen Scythe engine change

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ian husker
KG Regular

Hi, are there any Allen Scythe experts out there?
I have an Allen Scythe model T with a ropey Villers 2 stroke engine. I also have acquired a Villiers 4 stroke Mk25 engine which I beleive was available as an option on some models. I am wondering if it is straightforward to change the two engines or are there any problems. Any advice or hints would be most welcome. Ian
Kev

Just spotted this question don't know if I am too late but, - if the four stroke engine came off another allen scythe it should be a straight swap.
If it came from another machine then you probably need the adapter plate to mount the engine to the Allen gearbox.
What is so wrong with the 2 stroke that it can't be sorted anyway?
they are really simple to work on and oversize pistons and new bearings are available - why not overhaul it?
Regards, Kev
graeme

I have bought one of these good old monsters but she was ceased.
Its got the good old two stroke on it, where can I get bits for it and make it a happy one again? :lol:
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Graeme,

Allen scythes are about in great numbers still and tend to appear at old time rallies and associated sales.. also regularly in the sales pages of the many Tractor and also Garden Machinery and other Heritage magazines.

The people who I have always dealt with, and found very knowledgable on subject, for Villiers parts are;...

Meetens Industrial Engines Ltd.
Unit 2 Eclipse Trading Estate
30 West Hill
Epsom
Surrey
KT19 8JD

0845 634 0295

All the best,
Clive
pockets
KG Regular

graeme wrote:I have bought one of these good old monsters but she was ceased.
Its got the good old two stroke on it, where can I get bits for it and make it a happy one again? :lol:

I habe allen spares, 2 engines, 2 strokes want any thing?,
[email protected]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic