Planting dried peas..

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

Not sure if this is the right place; reading re Carlin peas reminded me.

A few years ago, a packet of dried peas in the cupboard got split and mothy. I threw them out for the birds and realised a while later than many had germinated and were shooting up. And remembered that someone on a forum once said that as seed was so costly she used dried peas.

We left that house before seeing any fruit of the peas and I am wondering if anyone here has actually grown them and with what result?

Thank you.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

If you sow seed of dried peas bought as dried peas, they'll yield peas which are good for drying. Which is to say, they'll crop all right but don't expect them to be good for eating as freshly-podded peas.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Marigold

Certainly they are excellent for growing pea shoots viewtopic.php?p=96510#p96510

I have not grown them on to full size; I suspect they will produce large-podded and large-seeded peas, which are probably OK to eat fresh.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
glallotments
KG Regular

I've heard of people planting them to use as pea shoots
Johnboy
KG Regular

The peas that you will probably end up growing are Marrow Fat Peas and large as they are they are very tasty when freshly picked.
These are the peas that they make mushy peas with but taste a whole lot sweeter when freshly picked and not allowed to really get hard in the pod.
JB.
Elaine
KG Regular

We grow them and as JB says, they are very good! When my husband first suggested it, I thought he was winding me up :roll: but he sowed them and I made him a sarcastic plant label for the row "Batchelors mushy peas".
However, I was delighted with the result! I love marrowfat peas.
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Marigold
KG Regular

Thank you.. Next year... Sounds good indeed and will cut seed costs.

I followed the other threads and was ... gobsmacked.. at the thought of aborting young plants simply for what seems a novelty food. Seems such a waste. like all the baby vegetables that never taste fully.
alan refail
KG Regular

Marigold wrote:I followed the other threads and was ... gobsmacked.. at the thought of aborting young plants simply for what seems a novelty food. Seems such a waste. like all the baby vegetables that never taste fully.

Marigold

If you looked at this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6338 you would have seen that I also grow on to produce pods as well as taking out the tops of the shoots. As for "aborting young plants", we all do this all the time: unless you allow all plants to grow on and produce seed, you are eating immature crops :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Marigold
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
Marigold wrote:I followed the other threads and was ... gobsmacked.. at the thought of aborting young plants simply for what seems a novelty food. Seems such a waste. like all the baby vegetables that never taste fully.

Marigold

If you looked at this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6338 you would have seen that I also grow on to produce pods as well as taking out the tops of the shoots. As for "aborting young plants", we all do this all the time: unless you allow all plants to grow on and produce seed, you are eating immature crops :wink:

Dear friend.. that is nit-picking as you know and I was making a general point. HUGE difference .

Such a waste and we are too penniless to do that, believe me. We need all the crops we can get . Big meaty peas that fill the belly and taste good, not scraps of greenery that do little to nourish, and prevent proper growth.

Huge hearty cabbages... Long bean pods... sputnik sized kohl rabi....Footballs of turnips...Swollen corn cobs...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic