Tree

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

stephenc
KG Regular

Hello

Could someone help me please?
Im new to growing and as I now have bought a new house their is a ptch of land about 12x7 feet that is "spare".
I think I can make use of it by growing some veggies in it.
My problem (I think) is that in the corner there is a Tree.
Would this cause any problems to anything that I plant?
It's not effecting the Sun light that the patch is getting, But I'm worried that it might starve anything I plant of nutrients?
Also one side of the patch is (at the minute) in the shade. This might change next year as the Sun will be higher in the Sky. Could I plant in this side?

I mainly want to grow Carrots,Potatoes,Onions,Garlic and a few Herbs.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Ste :D
Monika
KG Regular

Stephen, how tall is your tree and, more important still, how far do its branches spread? I think it is generally considered that the roots of a tree extend as far out as its branches, so if the branches spread over your 12'x7' patch, there are likely to be roots near the surface. You say, it still gets the sunlight, so is the tree on the north side of the patch? Sorry about all the questions, but it could all affect whether you can grow anything and if so, what!

Some vegetables, like spinach don't mind a bit of shade, but I think your main problem would be the ground itself under a tree.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Stephen, i hate being a killjoy, but veg just never seem to grow well under trees.

If it's not problems from shade and roots, you always seem to get problems from pests.

Sorry not to be more positive.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
stephenc
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies.

The Tree isn't really big,about 6 ft. The branches dont cover the plot,so it might be ok.I think I might try and dig it up,My only concern is if the roots spread in to next doors back yard. If I was to kill the tree and leave the roots I wonder if they'd just die :D
adam-alexander
KG Regular

stephenc wrote:Thanks for the replies.

The Tree isn't really big,about 6 ft. The branches dont cover the plot,so it might be ok.I think I might try and dig it up,My only concern is if the roots spread in to next doors back yard. If I was to kill the tree and leave the roots I wonder if they'd just die :D

Best thing is to identify the tree first. If its any sort of conifer cutting it down will see it off as these trees dont re-grow. If its Ash, sycamore, elder it will re-grow unless you take the whole root out and if its lilac, cutting it down will make it sucker like mad - including in next doors' garden.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Stephen,
If the tree is that small simply dig a trench around it 18" from the trunk cutting all the roots as you go then dig the tree out. Remove all the soil that you can from the root bowl and get growing.
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

Hi Stephen,

I agree with Adam that you should try to identify the tree first. if this is an old house you have bought recently, you may be lucky enough to find it is a small fruit tree that the previous owner planted and worth keeping and start a small orchard instead.
Try posting a few pictures of the tree and leaves to see if anyone can identify it for you.
Johnboy
KG Regular

As it is that tree is a weed. It is a plant, no matter what it is, that is unwanted in that position.
If you dig it out as I suggest it can be replanted into a place where it is acceptable to Stephen and he can then plan his garden as he wants it not as the previous owner wanted it.
I've never heard the likes of it!
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

Johnboy,

:( there is no need to shout your prejudices.

It is common advice that, if it is possible and appropriate, you should leave an existing garden for a season to find out what is already there.
In allotment parlance, you wouldn't want to take out a well established asparagus bed by digging your new plot willy nilly if you took it over when it was dormant.
This did happen to my daughter and some other allotment holders were horrified when hubby started to dig the area.

The point is to find out what you have got and make a good informed decision if it really is a weed, as you seem to think, or even if it could safely be moved to another spot.
Johnboy
KG Regular

MikA,
It is not my prejudices I am shouting it is common sense that is shouting!
You then quote a case where your son in law had taken over an allotment which is an entirely different scenario altogether.
If Stephen wants to grow vegetables in his garden then one way or another the small tree must go.
Certainly with a garden it is best to see what is actually growing before making major alterations to flower beds but to wait a year when you are going to change the use of the land is not the way to proceed.
Perhaps because I produce trees I do not look upon them with the same value that you do. Trees in the wrong place are weeds.
Donedigging has just acquired her first allotment. There is a lot of advice given to her and I note the absence of anybody suggesting she waits a year to see what is growing there.
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

Quotation #254 from Michael Moncur's (Cynical) Quotations:

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Albert Einstein, (attributed)
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi MikA,
I find that a very sad and cynical answer.
The growing of vegetables is based on a common sense approach and the grower having in his minds eye what he is trying to achieve.
I suspect that the only thing Albert Einstein ever grew was whiskers and he was not always correct in what he pronounced.
Surely if one small sapling that can be moved or taken out and destroyed (if of no value or further use) is going to prevent Stephen from growing vegetables it is a totally ridiculous state of affairs.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I would be interested to know what sort of tree it is before giving it the chop and whether it is something ornamental or just a stray sapling. Then decide whether it is worth moving or just getting rid of.
solway cropper
KG Regular

Earlier this year my daughter moved into a small terrace house with a back yard. Against the south facing wall of the yard someone had built a very nice raised bed from bricks. My daughter wanted to grow a few veggies, mainly salads, etc. but there were two self seeded sycamore trees about eight feet high growing in the neglected soil. First job was to get rid of the trees. I have to agree with JB that with such a small plot having a tree in it and growing veg are mutually exclusive. Does it matter what sort of tree it is, just get rid of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic