Blaushocker peas!! not sure about the spelling.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

This year we grew some peas which on the packet looked really nice. They grew really tall before the pods developed. They were purple pods which seemed quite tough. When we started picking them they were initially quite sweet but left a bitter after taste. (Eaten raw)

But the cooked ones were very woody in texture. I have tried to put them in various one pot meals but they are really not nice.

Has anyone else tried these peas. (they grew to about 7 feet tall even though the instruction said five feet) :shock: (Our ground was very well manured).
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Yes, once only. They are one of those things where the novelty value of purple pods does not offset the poor eating properties. I often find, when growing unusual veg varieties, that there is a good reason that they are not more widely grown ! I prefer petit pois types in general for the sweeter flavour.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Catherine,
Evita's Krombek Blauwshokker (the full mouthfull) are an exceedingly good multipurpose Pea.
They can be taken as mange tout, shelling peas and left to fully mature and ripen make perfect dried peas.
I must say that I have never tasted any bitterness. We grow them here mainly for drying for stews, casseroles and soups were they do a wonderful job.
They grow in excess of six feet and certain individuals up to about 8 feet.
They are certainly not a petit pois type so no wonder that you are disappointed with them Tony.
Catherine I would imagine that they were probably past their best for shelling peas when you tasted them as the only explanation for anything other than a good pea.
JB.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Sorry, I've not been clear. I know they are not a petit pois type; I just mentioned that to explain my taste in peas. To me they were rather the opposite, i.e., tended to be starchy rather than sweet and juicy. As such, I think that I would agree that soups, stews and casseroles might be the best use for them. Could also be that I picked them too late.
Catherine
KG Regular

Johnboy I think that the our peas were just badly treated this year. :wink: Too much heat in APril May then cold and windy June, then cold windy and wet July and August. They got really battered by the wind as we are on a the top of a sloping site facing North East. We have done very well with other types of peas. And the ones we picked we did put into the casseroles but you could tell which they were.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Catherine,
I think that you took them too late for shelling peas and we only use them in stew etc when they have been thoroughly dried. You sort of hit an intermediate stage to which I am unaccustomed.
Because of the weather this year the picking period was very short from succulent to over the hill was very short. I found this with my other tall peas (Clive's Radio variety) which only reached just over six feet this year as opposed to nine feet last year and the yield sadly a lot lower. Picking peas using step ladders is to say the least precarious!
My preference for shelling peas are Hurst's Greenshaft which have both good flavour and quantity, around nine peas to the pod.
JB.
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Tony Hague wrote:............. I often find, when growing unusual veg varieties, that there is a good reason that they are not more widely grown !..........

Yes, good point Tony.

a-a
Monika
KG Regular

I like Hurst Greenshaft too, JB. They always do well for us, both in yield and taste, so we now always grow those and Cavalier. I have tried others in the past but always come back to those two.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Monika,
I find that Hurst's Greenshaft are very good when frozen and following your good advice of years ago I steam them until they go a very bright green and plunge in iced water. Then, when defrosted for use, they take but seconds to being ready for the table. I wonder how many years ago it was that you gave me that very sound advice? Certainly not on this forum set-up.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic