THE SUN SHINES ON THE RIGHTEOUS

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have had one of my worst results in the fields this year, all my parsnips failed due to a very dry early spring and I planted good healthy leeks that now vitually all have been devastated by the evil leek moth. I have now got nothing growing for the winter but this afternoon I managed to plant some of my Broad Beans. Rain came and went but threatened all afternoon but when I finished sudenly the late afternoon sun shone, so I hope it was a good omen.
DARK SKIES THREATEN
DSC02769.JPG
DSC02769.JPG (131.33 KiB) Viewed 5511 times

THE SUN SHONE
DSC02770.JPG
DSC02770.JPG (128.45 KiB) Viewed 5511 times

Barney
Monika
KG Regular

Good luck with the broad beans! You deserve it.
Marigold
KG Regular

The quotation in full states that the sun shines on the righteous and the unrighteous alike.. and the rain falls on the righteous and unrighteous alike...

That field is a grand sight ....Bravo!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Thanks for correction Marigold, at least he is not selective and doesn't discriminate between us mortals when it is raining or sunshining.

Barney
peter
KG Regular

Will you leave it "as ploughed" over winter Barney?

Round here in Hertfordshire blink and you miss the bare soil, post harvest its one to three cultivating passes and a seeding, stuff up and the field green again in a few weeks.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I like the full quote :) Having said that we have been very fortunate here, mum is very poorly and I have had anything from two to four lines of washing daily, I like the washing to blow in the fresh air , so far it has been sunny every day and only rained at night.
In one of my mulched beds there are two self seeded broad beans which I must have dumped on the compost heap and they are just coming into flower ! So good luck with your broad beans.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hi Nature's Babe

Sorry to hear that your mother is not well. I've got another sowing to do soon thanks for the good wishes.

Barney
Cider Boys
KG Regular

peter wrote:Will you leave it "as ploughed" over winter Barney?

Round here in Hertfordshire blink and you miss the bare soil, post harvest its one to three cultivating passes and a seeding, stuff up and the field green again in a few weeks.

Hi Peter

No the beans are planted in the photographs, it is the tradition in Somerset to plant as soon after Bridgwater Fair (last Wednesday in September) as possible, they are planted using a Ferguson Potato planter and grown ridged up. Idealy I would compact them with a roller because they can suffer from crows etc picking them out but I will leave them as my rollers are miles away.

FERGUSON POTATO PLANTER (WITH HOPPER AND THE TWO PEASANTS REMOVED!)

The peasants (wife and son) just dribble the seeds down the potato planter's shoots and keep moaning that the seats are too hard. The planter used to have a bell that rang for timing the potato/beans spacings, but now it is just drop and hope.

DSC02772.JPG
DSC02772.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 5407 times

DSC02771.JPG
DSC02771.JPG (127.39 KiB) Viewed 5407 times

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Brilliant Barney, :lol:

I will be posting the peasants a Health and saftey Leaflet, though. :wink:

Brings back many happy memories, and nice to see someone still prepared to scratch a living the hard way.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hi Old Herbaceous

Thanks for your kind words, but I must confess that this is only a lifestyle choice, our main income comes from Engineering not Market Gardening, thank goodness, we would have been broke years ago. My younger son rents rooms in his house to some Agricultural Students from Sri Lanka and I often visit them for advice on the latest methods and in return I offer to demonstrate to them how things should not be done.

Now that a new housing estate has been built beside some of our fields we have received some mutterings from the young mums as they walk along the footpaths with their children watching us struggle in the fields - me sat on a tractor, my oldest son sat on the trailer and my wife, son's girlfriend and four Sri Lankan girls struggling to heave the full potato sacks up on the trailer!

It was the same when haymaking, we had the girls pitching the bales (since women are not strong enough to drive a tractor are they)? Some adverse comments were made, but only from the young women - the older (true) village girls knew that field work was always womens work and the technical stuff like tractor driving and stacking on the hay trailer was best left to the men.

Any case, the girls seems happy enough now I'm taking them shopping

wife and her sister.jpg
wife and her sister.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 5377 times

Bring back the good old days!

Barney
peter
KG Regular

Sinhalese or Tamil?

My colleague is Sinhalese and would be driving the tractor whilst telling you to hurry up with loading the bales, fiesty doesn't start to describe her. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Cider Boys. You shore know how to spoil the girls. :wink:
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I did not mean to re post this old post, I was looking for when I last planted any broad beans and hit the 'bump' key by mistake. Can anyone unbump it for me.

Best wishes

Barney
Catherine
KG Regular

:lol:
peter
KG Regular

No and as you and others have replied to it now it will stay here longer.

Ignore it and it will go away. :twisted:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic