Loppers

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Advice on tree loppers, please!
My 45 year-old Rolcut anvil cutters have a broken blade, which appears to be irreplaceable. New products by Wilkinson or Rolcut cost only about £10, but I suspect they are nothing like the quality those products once were. True?
Can anyone recommend good telescopic handled loppers? Are Wolf at £36 good? (Price is not too important).
What are the pros and cons of anvil-type v cross-cut blades?
Many thanks
John N.
richard p
KG Regular

personally i would buy the wilkinson's ones they work as well as the more expensive ones . given the choice i prefer crosscut rather than anvil cos i think the cut is cleaner and seems to take less effort.
Mole
KG Regular

Hi John

I swear by Bahco (were Sandvik) loppers and shears. They are in the medium price range, but the quality is very good and spares are available. The designs are simple and well built using decent steel for the blades.

Wolf are ok if you get the higher end models (not telesopic though).

BTW anvil loppers are ok for demolition, but I wouldn't advise their use for a good pruning job as they leave a crushed cut. Also, with every telescopic lopper I've had in the past, the telesopic handles have jammed in the end (Wolf and Compass) due to the inner handle tubes getting slightly bent.

Every recently made (last 15 years)Wilkinson Sword tool I've seen seems cheap and nasty and overdesigned.

Keep it simple I reckon.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mole
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Just came across this old post - any members looking for such tools should try http://www.original-loewe.de - these people made the original anvil cut secateurs and loppers, I think their UK distributor is
http://www.qualitygardentools.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic