Rootrainers

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon

I keep reading about rootrainers As a newbie, could someone explain what exactly are they, what are their advantages, and where can they be bought at the best price.
Regards Brenjon
Tigger
KG Regular

Difficult to describe but they're basically long modules that fit into a frame. They are quite expensive, but reusable and they allow long root growth without disturbance as they open up (or halve) and you can take out the seedling with the roots, undisturbed.

They come in two sizes, as in depths.

I bought some second hand last year which was a bonus as I've always wanted them but resisted paying full price.
John
KG Regular

Hello Brenjon
Have a look at the Ronaash Rootrainers site (these are the people that make?/distribute them);

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/home

There's loads of information about them there.
I'm a big fan of them. For starting things that have long roots such as peas, beans, onions, leeks they are just the ticket - use the 5" Sherwood ones. The plastic is a bit thin but with care they can be used quite a few times.

John
Geoff
KG Regular

When you first buy them they come as a kit. The trainers themselves, a frame to hold them and a clear plastic lid which is why the initial purchase is quite expensive. You can buy replacement of the actual trainers as what they call books. It is possible to buy just books and make your own frames and not bother with the lids - I only use them about half the time - which would be a saving. You could get the frame size from a friend or buy 1 complete kit and copy it.
I think there is some resale price maintenance going on as I have never beaten the direct internet price, has anybody else?
I think they are excellent, I use them for Broad Beans then Peas then Runner Beans and French Beans.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I love them as well and use them for all sorts.

One other advantage is that the space a standard 32 cell rootrainer takes up is far less than 32 3" pots so if you are short of space they are ideal.

This year I have used them for sweet peas, broad beans, chillies, peppers, tomatoes and they will be used for french and runner beans, beetroot and a few other things besides.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Iain
KG Regular

I'm inclined to agree with Geoff re. a suspicion of RPM. Effective as no doubt they are, they're made of flimsy plastic and must cost next to nothing to produce. And the only place I've seen them at anything near a reasonable price is at the Potato Day run by the Garden Association in a neighbouring town. They were selling them at £2.50 for club funds. That was for the tray, cover and the appropriate number of 5" trainers. Got four lots; would have bought more but I couldn't remember the price in the catalogue.That's at least £6. Where they got them from I've no way of knowing.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

You can club together and buy them as a job lot, I think the minimum order is 100 sets, they work out at about £2 then I believe.

Doubt we could do it for the forum due to the postage once the intial delivery is complete, and the head ache of organising it but it might be worth it for an allotment association.

Jerry

Brenjon

Now i know what they are they seem to be every gardeners must have piece of kit. Does anyone know if they could possibly be bought at Wilkinsons, Poundland, or any of those sort of outlets,or is the price standardised at dearer outlets.
Regards Brenjon
Tigger
KG Regular

Never found them there and I am the local, if not Midland wide, retail therapist of the year - every year!

If I see any of them second hand, I'll let you know.

However, as they're not very heavy, it might be worth one of us putting a bulk order, as Jerry suggests.

Any takers?
Iain
KG Regular

Their flimsiness has implications for packaging, mind.
DouglasM41
KG Regular

John wrote:The plastic is a bit thin but with care they can be used quite a few times.

Have you any advice on cleaning these for reuse...as you say they are quite flimsy so scrubbing may not be the best way :) Ditto jet spraying !

BTW there have been Rootrainer stands at some of the RHS shows over the years ( Definitely seen them several times at Tatton ) when they do have some special offers
Tigger
KG Regular

In a previous thread about washing plant pots, most of us confessed to using them dirty. That's what I do with my second hand rootrainers too!
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I cleaned 5 sets today, after planting out broad beans. I simply run them under a tap/hosepipe and then stack to dry on the green house. Most of mine are 3 to 4 years old and still going strong.

Jerry
(No connection to the company that makes them or sells them.)

Thegardnerthatfishes
KG Regular

I've been searching for rootrainers in Ireland recently to no avail. I got some locally (Carlow in the aboretum)about two or three yrs ago but have been unable to find any since. Can anybody tell me if they are available anywhere in Ireland?
cliff_the_gardener
KG Regular

To thegardenerthatfishes
Generally I get mine via mail order, rarely see them in garden centres, in may part of Yorkshire.
Have you tried their website?
http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/home
Clifford
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic