Too Much of a Good Thing?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

I'm setting up new raised beds 4' wide and 18" deep. I'm fortunate to have unlimited quantities of old farm dung- crumbly black stuff that's finished its rotting years ago. I'd like to ask if anybody's tried growing all their veg. in such a medium. What would be the likely effect of growing in this without mixing it with topsoil? I don't think there'd be any danger of root scorch, but I may be wrong. Any advice appreciated.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi, I grow in raised beds and have 15 beds between 8ft x 4ft and 13ft x 5ft. Most are filled with black crumbly cow manure that is over 10 years old.

The results are superb. Salads excel, onions grow large and root crops like carrots are brilliant and do not fork. An added bonus is that the manure holds on to water really well which is great during hot weather.

You will find that at the end of your first season you will need to top up your beds by a couple of inches as the black gold settles. I have used compost or soil for this in some beds for balance but over the three years so far there has been no difference in quantity or quality with either option.

Hope that this helps

David
Iain
KG Regular

Thanks, David! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll forge ahead now!
Iain (forgot to log on last time).
jane E
KG Regular

Must be something about Leics people! I've dumped a whole load of extremely well rotted manure/soil on top of my heavy clay in bedshaped dumps and planted onions, broad beans and garlic in them. I knew they wouldn't do worse than in the cold, wet clay, but you've made me hope they might do very well. They're coming through strongly from a latish sowing.I might try another dump for carrots this spring and perhaps score a first time ever success with them!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic