Suitable Peg/Fixing Advice Pls

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I bought myself a little cheapie polytunnel for lottie - it's pretty good 10 X 6 and can stand up in it. Put it up Sunday and it blew away Monday, luckily neighbours down there caught it. The pegs that came with it just pulled out of the soil and it was only saved as we had tied the back ropes to the fence not into the soil but this is the only bit of fence near it.

The instructions said to just peg down the cover and guy ropes on the four corners but it obviously needs the frame itself pegged and much strudier pegs for the rest also.

I looked at tent pegs etc and mooched around the DIY today but nothing seemed strong enough. Has anyone got any suggestions of any sort? The poles don't go into the soil it just sits on a frame and only has one zip up door so I'm guessing might need to put breeze holes in the other end also so wind goes through.

Would hate it to take off with plants attached.
Westi
Westi
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Maybe tie it down to weights (bricks?) rather than rely on pegs.

Regards

Ian
pongeroon
KG Regular

I would suggest sinking the poles into the ground if possible, and digging in the plastic. It's the only way to keep them down in a high wind. There have been several fly-aways on our allotments.

We are feeling smug, cos ours is dug in 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic