Containers

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Peet
KG Regular

I want to grow onions in containers this year. I have read that the onions should be spaced 4 inches apart but how deep should the container be? Would a garden trough be the ideal container?
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Evening Peet

I have grown onions in a trough and they were great. I planted about 7 stagered in a zig zag fashion. How I did it was visualise the size I hoped the onion would grow too and then gave it a little bit more. I filled it with I think a tomato bag. You have to keep them well watered and I also put in some onion fertiliser at the begining and another two times throughout the growing year. Being careful to work it into the top of the compost without disturbig the roots.

Hope this helps :)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hello Peet, some onion varieties are dual purpose and if you plant closer you can pull the thinnings for spring onions and leave the others spaced to grow big, that way you get more from your available space. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi natures babe

Cool never thought about that. Shall nip down the shops and have a look. :)
Peet
KG Regular

Hi Nature’s Babe
I’m with FW33. Off to the garden centre Saturday to buy some more seeds (just in case I mess up what I already have).
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

If you can revolve the container from time to time and let all sides of your onions have some sun it will help yield. Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic