What to do now before I put on the plastic to my Polytunnel?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivie veg-not logged on

We have put up the frame to my 14ftx28ft polytunnel.

We have made the wooden frame at each end, approx 8 feet square. I was intending putting 'envoromesh' all over one end and a wide door, 4 feet and 4 feet of enviromesh at the other end. My thoughts being that here we get a lot of wet weather and I would want to ventilate as much as possible. I certainly will not be looking to grow tender plants earlier than May, although an inner sanctum may be put in next spring.

I have dug the trench, bought the land drainage pipe and intend to anchor the plastic using Allan's method with built in drainage.

I intend to cover the flooring with weed suppressing fabic and grow in 50 litre bags this year filled with some top soil donated by a neighbour who was leveling his garden.

But is there anything I should do or consider doing before the plastic goes on? Hopefully during the Easter hols if the wind drops sufficiently.

Many thanks

Vivianne
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I ordered my plastic today and hope to cover it on Friday.

I have made sure that my raised beds are filled, the floor membrane is down and covered in gravel so that I dont struggle or pierce the plastic doing it after. You sound like you have covered the bases Vivianne, go for it.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Sue
KG Regular

Vivie - consider making the mesh end and the mesh door in 2 parts. On the full mesh end you can run a supporting length of wood halfway up. The top half of the mesh is then secured to another length of wood and you can make or buy brackets to hook the top piece of mesh halfway up or fully close the end. The door end just needs a stable door set-up rather than a 1 piece door.

It does compromise your insect barrier a little, but vastly improves the air flow through. I adapted our mesh ended growing tunnels at my last job this way and it made a big difference. Mesh blocks a surprising amount of breeze.

Sue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic