new polytunnel / sowing times

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

polparrot
KG Regular

Hi I have just bought and put up my first polytunnel -not huge 4.5m x 2m but so exciting!
I've been growing vegs outside for the last 10 yrs or so and am now fine with the timings of those. Its the sowing times of the ones I want to put in the polytunnel.. for example can I plant salads etc now?? when can I plant an early crop of peas and how much sooner can I plant my runners against those that will be outside?? the other one I want to try for an early crop of is sweetcorn? Is there a general rule as to when I can plant things in the tunnel? eg 4/5 weeks before the seed packet dates?? I live in london so I usually stick to those times outside.. if anyone can help i'd be grateful as I am completely new to this... many thanks
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Pol

Welcome to polytunnelling.

My tunnel is 11m x 4m and 2.25 metres high.

I grew corn inside once and it was a failure - too hot (?) and certainly no space for a good block for pollination. I would not grow runners inside, but I do grow climbing french beans which easily outgrow the height. I sow third week in April. Peas are quite happy sown end of February. Salads I start sowing beginning of March. You should be OK assuming 4 to 6 weekes earlier than outside, but beware; polytunnels are cold on frosty nights, so beware anything tender too early.
polparrot
KG Regular

Thanks alan- you're right I'm getting carried away with the sweetcorn idea!.. its tooo small!!
Thanks for letting me know about the peas though they are my favourite crop all year.. and as with everything I cant wait to start planting - I'll just have to sit on my hands for a few more weeks.. thanks too for the reminder it is still cold at night in the poly tunnel.. I just got excited after all the effort of clearing the beds to put the tunnel up and seeing it there waiting..haha...I think I'll keep to that margin of 6 weeks before the seed packet date to be on the safe side ..
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Polparrot,
When dealing with tunnels the cold is not as important as light levels.
Plants will stand the cold in a tunnel because they do not get burnt by the frost which destroys tissue.
Without sufficient light your plants will be forever seeking it and you can end up with very inferior plants. There are a host of lettuces that are designed to grow with and tolerate lower light levels. I admit these are more for the commercial market because lettuce alone doesn't make a salad.
I suppose what I am really trying to say is to try and curb your enthusiasm for just a little longer. Let the year get into March and then begin your sowings.
I have found that the extension of the Autumn period to be of most use where produce is concerned in the tunnels.
I too grow French Climbing Beans to great success. I do grow and early sowing and then for normal and then a late sowing. Guess what I like?
I wish you the very best of growing in your tunnel.
JB.
polparrot
KG Regular

Thankyou JB for your reply- I did make sure that the tunnel has the best allround light in the garden before siting it....so hopefully that will be ok once I get going...yes all enthusiam is now curbed until march! I'll make do with reading more seed cataloges and reading about growing in tunnels, I just ordered a book by joyce russel on poly tunnel growing, so I'm sure I'll be fine for a few more weeks... its good to know about the cold temps at night though, thanks for that.. what I am looking forward most though is to extending my season though into autumn as you say, I'll see how long I can keep those peas coming this year... I already have the first lot in guttering in the greenhouse!
Geoff
KG Regular

Polparrot : you haven't told us where you are to make the advice more relevant, if you go to User Control Panel you can edit you Profile by adding a Location.
I don't have a polytunnel but a 12x16' unheated greenhouse. I build a cloche over the end bed each Spring for added protection. Last week in February I sow Carrots, Greek Cress, Spring Onions, Radish and Rocket in there and about a week later plant some Lettuce plugs raised in heated greenhouse. I also usually grow three each Cabbage 'Primo' and Cauliflower 'Snowball' in there.
I use one side border (alternate each year) for Tomatoes that I planted 12th May last year (could probably do this a little earlier but I grow some in heated greenhouse) the other side has a mixture of things - Peppers, Aubergines and Sweet Corn (block of 12 pollinate OK) planted end of May and a few 'Cobra' climbing Beans.
Apologies, just re-read your first post and see you are in London. You should be quite a bit ahead of me especially if you are in the warmth of the city.
Last edited by Geoff on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
polparrot
KG Regular

Geoff, Thankyou for that...its good to know when you plant each crop as it gives me some idea to go on... I usually raise all my seeds in the greenhouse, harden off then plant out when able into the plot, now I can work out when to start the poly tunnel ones that much earlier to get it right...It encourages me to know you can get all those crops out of your space...I can only hope! haha...still it will be good fun trying... I did want to try sweetcorn in a block and as you have had success with that I will try later in the year...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic