UK New Poatoes in January???

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

realfood wrote:They have probably come from a cold store with controlled humidity. Last year, the shops were full of new potatoes from Aberdeenshire, Scotland in Feb and March. I am in Glasgow and there is no way that potatoes would grow outside at this time.

Bingo - thank you Realfood, this seems to be the explanation.

I too was pretty sure I'd seen Scottish New Potatoes just before Xmas. Guess the extra costs of delaying the sale and storage are made up for my the higher price they can get for them.
Compo
KG Regular

NEMO, how long do you leave the sea weed to rot from fresh? Do you wash it first lr leave it with the salt on, or do you not collect it fresh from the beach?

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
nemo
KG Regular

i collect it put it in small piles in my garden it is left there for 3-4 weeks.as we get plenty rain i usally dont wash the salt from the weed.i collect the weed that gets washed up on the shore i try to avoide the seaweed with stones attached less work.i do wash the salt from the weed if i am making liquid feed which is great bar the smell.when the seaweed is ready i add it when i dig the soil.we use it as a mulch over the ridges{lazy beds}so it prevent the nutrients getting washed out in the rain over winter

BE CARE FULL WHEN COLLECTION SEAWEED SOME TIMES I HAVE FOUND WEEDS LIKE MARES TAIL, BIND WEED ETC ON SODS OF SOIL. OUR HERB BED IS NEAR THE HOUSE I PUT SEAWEED ON IT. WE FOUND SOME LITTLE HOPPERS IN OUR HOUSE THEY USALLY LIVE IN THE SEAWEED AND MANAGED TO GET IN OUR HOUSE.AFTER A FEW WEEKS THEY ALL DIED
arthur e
KG Regular

Hi all, My local Tesco over ordered Charlotte potatoes at christmas and had to sell them at 2P a bag to get rid of them, the same applied to Blueberries but they were 5P a punnet.
I bought 10 bags of the charlottes for friends and kept one as seed for myself.
Arthur
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic