Free seeds?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

CatBud
KG Regular

Hi, Just wondered if anyone knew of any promotions where people can hold of free seeds etc or is this being cheeky??? :oops:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

No i don't know where you could get any free seeds from. And if i did i would keep it to myself Catbud. And yes i do think you are being cheeky just like me.

Kind regards a very cheeky Old Herbaceous.

THERES NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL.
mandylew
KG Regular

If you join your local freecycle group, you will probably find offers for spare plants/ leftovers going at this time of year, thats where all mine are going anyway http://www.uk.freecycle.org/
nog
KG Regular

Catbud...what type of seed do you want? I have load of half packets of seeds...mainly tomato and stuff that I got free but don't plant. If they are any use PM me with your address and I will bung you a few packs in the post.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

There are a couple of choices here:

http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/giveaways.php#seed_trial

:D

Also might be worth doing a seed swap amoungst members?

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Brenjon

Get real
You cannot get much cheaper than buy one get one free at Wilkinsons which are cheaper than branded names to start with.
Brenjon
Tigger
KG Regular

I've got some spare too if you want them CatBud - what's on your list?

Also, if you rush to your nearest Lidl, there may be some still there for 29p and 49p.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Alan Romans does lots of seeds at 50p a packet. The quality is very good too.
www.alanromans.com
CatBud
KG Regular

Thanks everyone, a seed swap on here would be a good idea, especially since we'll all prob be left with half full packets soon.

Why doesn't everyone write what seeds they would like and we can all help each other out. :)
nog
KG Regular

This was suggested at christmas but nothing came of it.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Most suggestions fall on deaf ears. :cry:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

I thought about your idea last time, but by the time I've checked that my seeds are germinated and replaced any that haven't it's too late to plant any more, so it's pointless sending them on to anyone as I will either use them myself the following year, or, in the case of parsnips, chuck them out. (Blimey that was a long sentance.) Also, for seeds such as beetroot, carrot, turnip and salad crops, I sow more than once in the year so don't have left overs. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

Chantal has hit the nail on the head.

That is the full and correct answer to why this good idea is actually not very practical.

Now neighbours co-operating on a seed order is a different thing, especially when you get 500 Curly Kale seeds to a packet.

BTW Chantal probably hit the nail at a sideways offset displacement of CoSine(Theta x Pi)/Beta Squared less the deflection of Moggie X Miaow.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Well, most of my seeds are on their 2nd or third year, or are self saved, so I wouldn't want to give them to someone else in case they have poor germination rates.
mandylew
KG Regular

It was I who suggested the seed swap, that nobody at all responded too, which surprised me, as on another forum (family orientated, with just one general gardening thread) it was very well recieved and successful last year, however, for a better range of seeds I thought i would bring it up here, anyone who read my seed swap post would have seen curly kale was on my wanted list, I thought surely someone with 500+ seeds (as mentioned above) might feel inclines to share a few :( , I offered lots of varietys of for instance squash, tomatoes and peppers that I only wanted one or two plants of. yes I suppose I could save them till next year, but they might not germinate so well, and I was feeling generous, so as I said to the OP I'm giving them away on freecycle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic