It aint 'alf 'ot Mum!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

At least that's how it feels going out before six this morning to be met with plus 9C rather than minus 9C.

What's the chances winter won't be back so fierce in the new year?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
We have still got snow covering of about 4".
Temperature here is 34.9F or 1.16C and that is the highest it has been all during the thaw I think.
My grandchildren built a super Igloo on my back lawn which will still be here when I want to mow in the spring, at this rate of thaw, I suspect!
From -3.6F to + 34.9 is quite an increase though.
JB.
Clive.
KG Regular

Just an odd bit of snow left around here...and we have made it up to 4.3C today.

Ground frozen hard still...I tried to push a cane in to see the state of things and it went in 2" at the maximum and that was on the well cultivated and improved new strawberry bed. Other areas remain harder..including the 3' high heap of turned and ready to use compost in the 6'x6' wooden sided bin.

Clive.
richard p
KG Regular

warm and damp here ... one of them damp misty days ... snow all gone bar the odd lump... wet and soggy everywhere....
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Potted up my shallots, though a few days late, [ I normally pot up on the 21st,] but it was a bit parky.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

We had 11 degrees c at lunch time today, all the snow gone now thank goodness and I didn't think I would ever say that!
Kind regards,

Elle
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi peeps

Thank goodness the snow has finally gone here as well. Temp now up to 4 degrees makes a change from 1 and a half weeks ago it was -12 at 8am about 12 miles away from here. But unfortunatly I fear that we will be having some more soon. Poor kids had almost 2 weeks of school before we broke up.

Never minde, it is the first time we have had a white christmas here since I was at primary school!!!
madasafish
KG Regular

7C here.
Same yesterday but on Tuesday 9C.

My bees - who had stayed safely in hives for a month - came out for a quick fly around, toilet and to throw out their dead.

Pond still has 10cms of ice despite the snow going on Tuesday...
Monika
KG Regular

6 degrees here today and almost all the snow gone, but I have been surprised how deeply the frost penetrated: a bag of compost in the unheated greenhouse is still frozen solid inside, the four large compost bins have thawed towards the outside and on top but the core is still frozen, similar five bags of leaf compost. In a metal watering can there is still a huge lump of ice. The pond has water on top but underneath is a thick layer of ice.

One amazing thing, though: eight small plants of lettuce 'Winter Density' whose pots were completely frozen for about a fortnight, seem completely unscathed!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Monika,
I just goes to prove that Winter Density lives up to it's name.
I have some Oak Leaf Lettuces that were in a tub outside my kitchen window and from what I can see surprisingly they seem to have survived also. These are not winter varieties at all and should have perished months ago.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Its freezing again here today, ice on the bird bath and hens' water and a skating rink outside the front door, but at least the snow has gone.

Just been talking to a friend in Estonia where its -19C daytime temperature today, and his mother has 8 ft of snow in her garden, so a bit worse than here.
alan refail
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Just been talking to a friend in Estonia where its -19C daytime temperature today, and his mother has 8 ft of snow in her garden, so a bit worse than here.

...and they've just joined the euro :( :( :(
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Alan, they weren't too happy about that either!
Monika
KG Regular

About the euro: I have been recording the value of the euro every New Year in my diary for the last few years and its value has steadily gone up from being worth 61 pence in 2000 to 86 pence at the moment. So what's so wrong with it??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic