Who wants to be a centenarian?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Anyone fancy living to a hundred?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/82307 ... s-old.html

I can think of many disadvantages in living to 100 - I can't think of many advantages. I've seen too many old people in homes to want to end up in one myself.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Even the thought appals me! To die in harness must be the best way for any old horse to go. Fancy sitting there twiddling your thumbs for what?
Absolutely nothing!
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

How I agree - If you are reasonably fit, able to get out and about and still have your mental faculties - fine, but the state people are kept alive in in care homes is shocking and extremely sad.

I used to visit a friend in one of these homes when she had Altzheimers and the part where the late stage ones were was horrendous. A huge room full of dribbling, incontinent people laid about in chairs and recliners. They didn't know who they were, or what they were doing, couldn't speak, couldn't stand up or feed themselves, were all in smelly nappies and had two carers looking after the whole room full.

The R.S.P.C.A. would prosecute anyone keeping animals alive in that state.

I know the option I would take if I faced that prospect.

What a cheery subject.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

only if I can still get into the garden, enjoy family occasions and retain my faculties. :wink: my motto use it or ...lose it. In my childhood I did see very elderly women 90 + still working in the fields and they were still quick and nimble..... taught me a thing or two !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
JohnN
KG Regular

My mother-in-law, who died 2 years ago at the age of 102, spent her last 4 years in a superb care home called Ridgegate, at Reigate. Not one of the most expensive either. Apart from forgetfulness she was OK up to near the end and celebrated her great-grand-daughter's 18th birthday with a large glass of champagne, just a month before she died from a stroke.
If I were to spend my next 20 years like her I wouldn't mind a bit! :)
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Is that because of the Champagne JohnN ? :lol: :lol:
Kind regards,

Elle
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

I was only saying to a few of the lads on the allotment site this morning "Just think, we'll still be sitting in the seedstore drinking coffee for another 40 years yet "

I won't print the replies :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm going to leave my answer until i reach that age. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Well OH a couple of years is not that long to wait is it.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Johnboy, the way my back felt when i came back from work this evening, you could be right.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

No way do I want to be a Centenarian, especially if all the people I know have already climbed the ladder before me. Judging by the gaps in our Christmas card list this year, a few have already decided to get out before the waiting list for the care homes gets too long
If I can't go nicely in my sleep, it may have to be a bottle of pills and the whisky.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

When you reach 99, you might have different thoughts.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Shallot man,
So very true but who in their right mind wants to reach 99. There are very few people, by comparison, who have all their faculties at 90.
When I was a young man 70 was a very good age and around the norm for a mans lifespan. After 70, which I suspect you already know, things begin to do down hill. Do you want to go on after you are beyond doing everything for yourself? I'm buggered if I do!
JB.
madasafish
KG Regular

I run to keep fit and know several runners running well into their eighties - yes seriously.

Took part in the Dovedale Dash in 2010 oldest competitor was 73.. I aim to beat that.

http://www.dovedaledash.acwager.co.uk/index.htm

When I'm gaga, I will run under a bus...probably involuntarily :-)
Monika
KG Regular

I am well over 70 and have taken part in two charity runs this year, at a more sedate pace, but still running. I think it's just how able you feel which dictates what you do. Of course, one slows down physically and mentally, but as long as one can still muster the mental stamina and exercises regularly, the bones and muscles will stick with it!

Until I retired, I was mainly desk bound and, with a longish commute, just didn't have the time to keep moving, be it gardening, walking, swimming, whatever, so I am really putting my all into it now. And it does work, however old you are!

Being so active, I certainly would not want to linger and vegetate (as both my parents did before they died), so I think I will do it my own way when the time comes. I just hope I have the guts to do it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic