Are you all snowed in ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Nobody is venturing in or out of our road. I think everybody has pulled up the drawbridge round here.

I've been out three times this morning clearing snow off the bird table and trying to clear a patch under some shrubs where the birds can come and feed. They're really struggling to try and take off again if they land as the snow is so deep. I fear this bad weather will result in the loss of more of our small birds again. I haven't seen our solitary garden wren for two days. I know where it likes to feed and have tried to clear snow away for it to feed but fear for the worst.

Just relieved we don't have to travel anywhere this week-end.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, it has put about two inches down on top of black-ice, and at the present it is snowing even heavier.

So i think we might well get snowed in.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Bren
KG Regular

We have a good many inches of snow here since 10.30 this morning, when I got up it was only a dusting but later it came fast and heavy a lot more than we had a couple of weeks ago, lots of cars got stuck up our road, any that could turn round on a driveway did others had to reverse down the road, we don't get gritted,iys still snowing.

Bren
madasafish
KG Regular

Only -5C and 10cm of snow in sunny northernmost Staffordshire..

What's all the fuss about?
:?:
John
KG Regular

Very quiet here after a few inches of snow overnight.
A few days ago I bought myself a pair of Yaktrax, which are like elasticated snow chains for boots - you just pull them over the soles of your boots. They are superb. They do 'everything it says on the box' and make it so easy to walk on snow and compacted slush.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Clive.
KG Regular

-5 last night and only up to -2 today.

Only a light dusting of snow here but it is over ice...a fraction more snow at work a bit nearer the coast and some very full looking clouds just out over the N. Sea.

Managed to flatten the battery on Skoda this morning.. I was sat in the car and left the ignition, demister fan and heated window and mirrors on..not a wise trick on a cold morning. :oops: We left it a while and it recovered a bit but not quite enough...got a lift home with a friend to fetch dads old Vauxhaul to use with my jump leads. We could have used friends car but when we found the battery under a myriad of plastic covers it had some very funny new fangle connections and fittings...so we opted for the old Astra...once I had extracted it from the iceberg from which it had not moved from for a few weeks.
All a bit embarrassing as it is only a narrow street and folk had to go by on the pathside whilst our fleet blocked things up..in reality in was only a minute or two...luckily the No.6 bus was already in town so I didn't hold up that one.!! My other option would have been to wheel my Atco battery mower up town....I think that might have drawn even more attention to my debacle.. :? :oops: :wink:

Clive.
Clive.
KG Regular

Just remembered to add that on the way in to work today just as I got nearly to the work gates I spotted a Heron like bird, pure white, long legs, feet stuck out the back in flight... Little Egret came to mind..and a book confirms this. I have never seen one of these before...it was heading West following the N. side of the A158 about 5 miles inland...I suspect looking for something not frozen containing some lunch.

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Clive, i advise you to close the bathroom curtains then. :wink: :)

glallotments
KG Regular

Only a light covering here but last night it was down to below -9 so ice is more likely to be a problem.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We ended up getting six inches of snow, although that was no fuss for me Madasafish, i don't think the older people would agree, so i've been clearing their paths, and just checking on them.

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Snowed quite heavily yesterday, which has left the side roads like a skating rink. It's been snowing again for the last hour as well.
When I looked on Accuweather earlier it didn't mention snow at all for us today. We must have got somebody elses :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
lizzie
KG Regular

We've had about 4 inches here which is very unusual and it has frozen hard. This is our second lot of snow which is again very unusual. The daytime temp hasnt been above freezing for most of November/December and the dogs favourite pond/waddling hole is under 7 inches of ice.

To be fair to Liverpool City Council, the main roads are clear but the side streets are awful. I'm on a hill too so getting the car up can be a challenge but it adds to the fun of things :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well we've only had about an inch of snow at the end of last week, but the temperature hasn't reached anywhere above freezing point. It was actually minus 14C inside the greenhouse this morning. I can't remember it ever getting so low. Usually -10C is the lowest, and most winters not even that.
madasafish
KG Regular

-11C last night. Still warm compared to January 2010 when we saw -19C one night..

When out, my feet, hands and body are warm but unless I put on my hoodie my ears freeze. (a lack of hair does not help :-( :lol:
richard p
KG Regular

wooly hat does a wonderful job keeping the head and ears warm..havnt ventured outside without one for some weeks now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic