Sweetcorn Party!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diva
KG Regular

I grew sweetcorn on my allotment last year (had only just taken it on so put in a block of 9 plants) but had the whole lot eaten by the culprit in the picture on the left of this posting! :evil:

Found the empty 'middles' at the bottom of the compost heap when I moved it to another place on the plot. The little darlings must have had a sweetcorn eating party that night!

Does anyone have any tips to stop this happening again? My little brother picked out some more sweetcorn seeds for me to grow this year and I don't want to dissappoint him! I was thinking of something like an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off it and a wide enough neck so the stalk can grow through. I thought that if the little 'darlings' couldn't climb up the stalk then they can't reach the cobs? Or will they form some kind of acrobatic team and stand on each other's shoulders?? 8)
Diva

I think, therefore I am.
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

diva,what a good idea,sorry i cant help,do you have an idea for magpies eating sweetcorn,thats the prob i have
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
frantony
KG Regular

Grock, I find that an air gun does the trick, lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic