Broad beans

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon

When is the latest time of year to sow broad beans? I have got one batch ready to plant out as young plants but i would like to follow with another batch later on' as these are our favourite veg.
Regards Brenjon
Allan
KG Regular

Information is hard to find on this, April should be worthwhile but there is considerable doubt about May.
I will continue to search for more advice as sales of broad beans are good at any time. You might like to try for second cropping. When the usual crop has finished if the plants are healthy cut them back, to get new shoots which give a late crop. I found this out by accident.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon,
It is not unusual to get a second smaller crop from the first sowing. Having picked the first crop out you cut the haulm down to about to within 3" of the ground and the plants regenerate from the base.This has given me an exceedingly late picking. This leads me to believe that, although I have never done so,
they could be planted certainly considerably later than the end of April.
I grow Materpiece Green Longpod as I prefer them to the white varieties as to me they have a far better flavour and certainly a good crop averaging about 8 beans per pod. This of course is open question as obviously tastes differ.
I again use 7cm sq pots and plant the seed scar down. By this I mean as they will stand up if the seed is placed on a flat level surface. They will only stand in one position. They are planted out at the very first sign of a root show from the bottom of the pot. Try not to let them get root bound as they do seem to resent any check in their growth.
JB.

My broad beans have been sown in pots and now all have little white roots poking through the bottom of the pots, but no sign of anything coming through at the top. Will they be ok? Does the top take longer to come through?
John
KG Regular

Hello Brenjon
Most of my books say that you can sow broad beans up to June. They are cool season plants though and will do less well from sowing later in the growing season. Later sowings also attract a lot of blackfly.
They take up quite a lot of room so if space is short you might do better to grow more productive crops like runner beans or climbing french beans.
As they freeze so well we grow all our beans in from one very early sowing so as to finish harvesting about June which gives time to clear the ground and grow something else.

John
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I planted mine in root trainers, and they developed lovely loads of roots, and tops too, so not sure why shoots haven't emerged.

I was a little worried cos I planted mine out on Monday, then we had a frost of -3 on Monday night. Might get to lottie to discover they're all frozzled.

Last year I planted a row in April, and had a fab harvest. Never liked B. beans until I grew me own, now I'm addicted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic