Patty pan squashes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Essexboy
KG Regular

Hello all,
I was ginen a Patty pan plant this year, it has done very well and looks as if it is going to have a lot of fruit on it, if that is the correct term. My question is how do you harvest them, do you let them mature and harden off/ripen like pumpkins, or do you harvest them like you would courgettes? Opinion is divided on our allotment site! Come to that, how do you cook them?
Regards, Essexboy.
John
KG Regular

Hello Essexboy
They are summer squashes and should be treated like you would courgettes. Pick 'em small and young and discard the larger ones ie anything much bigger than a grapefruit. The larger ones are useless and tasteless - they should be cut off to encourage more younger ones to develop.
In the kitchen deal with them in the same way as courgettes - in fact a courgette/patty pan mix is excellent.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Essexboy,
You should pick Petty Pan as you would pick Courgettes. When I have grown them I have always picked young nipped the stork off wash and then steam. They take very little cooking when picked young.
I have always served them with a white sauce as an accompaniment.
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi John,
You must have posted your letter just as I clicked reply.
However glad to see we gave the same reply.
JB.
John
KG Regular

Hello JB
A case of great minds thinking together over the ether perhaps?
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

LOL, I say as courgettes too, so far I think you can report back to yout allotment colleagues pretty confident.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Another vote from me for using them young as courgettes. Now you know which allotment neighbours to trust and which to ignore :wink:
Essexboy
KG Regular

Thanks everybody, I look forward to trying them.
Regards, Essexboy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic