Red curranr problem

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

seedling
KG Regular

I went to a friends house over the weekend and her red currant bush has a leaf problem. Its got raised yellow lumpy areas on the leaves as if the leaf itself was producing too many cells. I said i would find out what was wrong with it but having gone through my books and had a quick look online I cant find anything like it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Seedling
alan refail
KG Regular

Morning Seedling

Here's your answer..............

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/pro ... 1#section1
John
KG Regular

Hello Seedling
I get this almost every year on my redcurrant and as it says in Alan's link it doesn't seem to affect cropping very much. Redcurrants are vigorous bushes and can be summer pruned at this time of year. This will remove a lot of the affected tips and also expose the developing currant strings to help ripening.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
seedling
KG Regular

Sadly it wasnt that. It was yellow not red and made the leaves look like the were curling up a bit. Thought it could be drought or maybe some sort of mineral deficiency ?

Seedling
seedling
KG Regular

Sorry :oops: - having read the description rather than just looking at the photo it does mention it can be yellow. Thank you for that, I will let her know.

Seedling :)
Primrose
KG Regular

My redcurrants have had this problem for the past couple of years, yet the adjoining blackcurrant bush is free of the problem. I pull the worst of the affected leaves off and destroy them. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the bushes' cropping ability so I'm going to leave well alone unless the problem grows progressively worse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic