Spring onions Help please

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

I am having trouble growing spring onions. I have tried in the polytunnel, and in the plot but I have never had a good supply of spring onions. Where am I going wrong? They dont seem to like growing in my garden. Help please? We use lots of these so I want to grow lots of spring onions.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

I always aim to have a constant supply of spring onions all year round. The short gaps in late spring and early autum are filled by using immature shallots in spring and perennial onions in autumn.

If you say what varieties you use and how you sow and grow, I'll try to tell you where you're going wrong :wink:

Have look at my lengthy post in this thread.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Suspect that the term "Salad Onion" fits the description better than "Sping Onion". Only a suggestion mind.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy. I usually refer to them as salad/bunching onions. I was obviously following Catherine's words :wink:
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you Allan I have read your post and will try your suggestions. I call them Spring Onions which we usually buy for the supermarket as I never have any luck growing them but I think they are also called salad onions.

Ishikura and White Lisbon are the two which I am trying this year cant remember what I tried in previous years.

I use loads as I make lots of couscous, chickpea and mixed bean salads. :)
glallotments
KG Regular

I grow the same varieties and last year had real trouble growing them - the first time they have been so awkward. No problem with germination but then they just didn't seem to grow - in fact some seedlings were left in from early sowing last year (just to see what happened) and they still are only a few centimetres tall. This year I'm trying growing them in a trough.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi again Catherine

I would say that White Lisbon are a waste of time if you want good salad onions. The non-bulbing Allium fistulosum varieties grow much better and stand much longer. I have yet to finish the overwintered ones in the polytunnel, which were sown 9th September last year. I have just planted out four dozen clumps from modules, sown 7 March. They should be ready in about six weeks and will stand, and grow, all summer.

One I do get great success with is Cipollotto da mazzi (just means bunching onion) from SEEDS OF ITALY. £2.25 for 1400 seeds works out at a penny per module of half a dozen seeds.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks for that Alan I will get a packet and start some off as soon as possible. :)
glallotments
KG Regular

Is your avatar a quince Alan?
alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:Is your avatar a quince Alan?

Yes
glallotments
KG Regular

Thought it looked alike the one we planted last year - Meeches Prolific.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic