Rare crested newt

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

This morning when feeding my indian runner ducks I happened to notice movement in their pond, I scooped it out to rescue, as they would have had it for breakfast lol We have a lot of common newts in the garden , they even play at the bottom of our well, This was a crested newt, with orange belly splotched with black, I slipped him on to the weed in our nature pond
safe from the ducks. It has been a day for nature, I woke to see a fine fox on the roof of our chicken house, they are in a safe pen and he hasn't broken in in 5 yrs but foxes still try ! On my return home from the shops I was surprised to see a completely albino cock pheasant, white as snow! Three unusual sightings in one morning !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Natures Babe, we are lucky to have a lot of Great Crested Newts here, especially down the other end of the village.

A good day for you indeed. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi, oldherbacious, yes, if their habitat is in good order they come and they thrive. We also are fortunate because we have a wild strip between us and the farmland.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
sparhawkiw
KG Regular

Please be a little careful not to reveal their exact locations though as they are heavily protected & unscrupulous **** sell them illegally for a lot of money... :wink:
the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create...

The Worst Journey In The World
Apsley Cherry-Garrard 1922
Monika
KG Regular

Nature's Babe, are you sure it was a crested newt? The male common newt has a slight crested back and at this time of the year also has a bright orange belly. Crested newts, as others have said, are quite rare and need different habitats to the common newts. They are usually only seen at night, if you direct a strong torch into the water.
Galatea
KG Regular

Great Crested Newts are also far bigger/bulkier and much darker, near black in comparison to Palmate Newts, particularly at this time of the year. Of course they are also a heavily protected endangered species and it's illegal to interfere with or disturb one of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic