What actual MONTHS are 'early spring', 'late spring' ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

Hi, not too sure quite where to ask this.

In magazines and books they say "plant them out in late spring" etc. (early spring, mid-late, late, early summer, etc)

Which actual month are they talking about please?

TIA
Clive.
KG Regular

I take it that Early Spring would be late March/early April.?..and Late Spring...late May/early June.? to go by the technical dates...but with an actual, in gardening terms, adjustment relative to location in the country..and then adding in how the weather trend at the time is looking.

Clive.
glallotments
KG Regular

I always think of June as early summer.

So March would be early spring, April mid spring and May late spring. I just think of these three months as spring.

But as for sowing seed I don't think this is helpful - it would be more helpful if seed packets had something more descriptive of the conditions required to sow. As Clive said it depends on where you are and what the weather is like in any given year.
Clive.
KG Regular

With regard to June I always remember a video we made at work in 1995....it went on the be a very hot dry Summer...but a walk around the gardens we did on June 15th that year showed some quite slow progress...the effects of the still cool night time temperatures of early June.

Clive.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Thank you. That gives me a general idea, which is what I was after. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic