"Log me automatically" has stopped working

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin_M
KG Regular

This feature used to work fine for me. I have a middle-aged PC at work running IE6 on Windows.

For some reason about 2 weeks ago, I found I needed to manually log in each time I visited the forum. Despite ticking the box to "remember me", it doesn't and I now have to do this on every visit.

Have we changed anything on the site in the last month that could have caused this? Apart from clearing my temporary files, I haven't changed my PC (and once told once, it should have stored the cookie and carried on working).
Chantal
KG Regular

This exact thing happened to me and it appears that I had to set my computer to accept the cookie. Why I had to do this I know not, as the cookie had been there and accepted for ages :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

If it is a work PC is it networked antivirus? That might also have been changed to block cookies, you might be able to create exceptions, ask your network administrator (assuming private Internet use is OK).
macmac
KG Regular

I found myself appearing as a "guest" one day last week as I don't think I'd been posting I don't know how long I'd been logged out (I hadn't )I just logged in again and it's been ok since :?
sanity is overrated
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Geoff

I AM the network administrator at our place and yes, we're allowed to look at anything. Nothing had been changed, it just happened. :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

It's always doing this to me at home but never at work, where the tolerances are set much higher. Very strange.
Geoff
KG Regular

Chantel, I was talking to Colin really about his work network. Could be a global policy rather than antivirus.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Chantel, I was talking to Colin really about his work network. Could be a global policy rather than antivirus.

No, it's nothing to do with Antivirus, Firewalls or selective blocking of certain websites. Also this site used to let me log in automatically wth no problems on my work PC.

Since a number of us are seeing it, I wonder if it is a feature of Mr Trushkin's Forum software. Do the System Admins have any thoughts on this, or have any changes been made recently at the host end?
Geoff
KG Regular

Changed default on a browser upgrade then? I don't use IE so I don't know anything about it. I've had the problem but I've built a new machine so it was my own fault not getting the settings right first time. Still battling to get Word 2007 to behave like I had 2003 working!
peter
KG Regular

For me it is:
At Home. Working fine.
At Work. Does not remember me from one day to the next, but does keep me connected for the duration of my session.

Work is firewalled, webscanned and runs on Citrix (non-techies don't ask :oops: ), so sessions are divorced from me and my pc.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

Exactly the opposite for me. :mrgreen:
KGAdmin
Site Admin

A lot of the time this can be down to your browsers security settings - modern browsers can ask to remember passwords - but can also forget these settings - can you may have to go into your security settings to reset password data, and cookie use for this website - then close and re-open browser to this website again, and re-enter your personal details to login (and re-check the remember me box)

I know on Firefox the 'clear personal data on close' causes the forum to not log me in automatically - because it removes the cookie remembering this every time I close the browser.

KGAdmin
Geoff
KG Regular

Trouble is with Citrix Thin Clients paranoid administrators can implement such tight security that you can't save any cookies, you can even end up with a fresh profile every time you login so no personal changes can be saved.

If on Firefox Tools, Options, Privacy, you select " Use custom settings for history", tick "Clear history when Firefox closes", select "Settings" and untick Cookies (and possibly Form & Search History) you'll clear all the rubbish but retain Cookies. You can also check that it is saving passwords through Tools, Options, Security, Saved Passwords.
Colin_M
KG Regular

KGAdmin wrote:A lot of the time this can be down to your browsers security settings - modern browsers can ask to remember passwords - but can also forget these settings - can you may have to go into your security settings to reset password data, and cookie use ....

Hi KGAdmin, well I guess our own administrators could be tinkering with Group settings behind our backs. In addition, we are on IE6 at work.

However I would add that, whilst the KG Forum has started having this problem, a few other forums that I also access from my work PC quite happily remember my user details and continue to log me in automatically.

Of course this could be a big sign that I should be spending more time working whilst I'm at work :shock: However it makes accessing the KG site more of a hassle than it ever used to be. Anything you can do to streamline this would be appreciated.
Elaine
KG Regular

This has never worked for me and there is no way in this world that I understand any of this stuff enough -or even slightly- to start tinkering with settings! :shock: I flapped fit to fly last week when my screen started screaming security alerts at me, that something was bugging my computer and after doing a Norton scan, it turned out to be a Tracking cookie. :?: :?: I looked it up but am still baffled. All you computer wizards have my undying admiration!

Sorry to go off topic there! :oops:
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic