Chest freezer Grrrr

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

macmac
KG Regular

Can somebody help?We've got a chest freezer and despite "organising"it with different coloured bags,green for peas,yellow for sweetcorn e.t.c.I still end up swearing when, whatever I want is hiding under everything else :?
do any of you sensible people have some advice as the better half is threatening to take it down the tip :(
sanity is overrated
Geoff
KG Regular

Afraid not - we get ufo's like everybody else - often thought of uprights but the cost of replacing two 14 cubic footers frightens me.
seedling
KG Regular

I think chest freezers are like handbags. It doesnt matter what you are looking for its always at the bottom and you have to take everything else out to find it. Annoying but will remain one of lifes mysteries

Seedling
Monika
KG Regular

Macmac, I used to have the same problem, but now I put different foods into different supermarket bags, like all the frozen peas (frozen in two-portion freezer bags) are in a Tesco bag, broad beans in Booths, French beans in Waitrose, calabrese in Morrisons etc, so I can just fish out the correcly coloured bag which is quite easy to find.

The list of them is fixed to the chest freezer lid with a fridge magnet.

Hope that helps.
peter
KG Regular

Use boxes or baskets, ideally wire ones designed for the freezer, but cardboard or plastic boxes will do, easier to lift out a layer of boxes. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Granny
KG Regular

I'm too short to reach into our freezer and lift out a bottom layer box. I use supermarket bags in the same way as Monika. You can generally spot the right bag quite quickly and it doesn't take long to heave out 3 or 4 others before you get access to the right one.
----------------
Granny
richard p
KG Regular

dont part full boxes waste a lot of space?
peter
KG Regular

Geoff, not really, as I always consolidate the contents downwards, with a couple of ready-use baskets on the top with dual use handles which fit under the inner seal to suspend them from the inner rim of the chest. :D

There is room for three layers in my freezer with the baskets I have.

At the top, room for four suspended baskets, so with just two in use I can slide them sideways when the freezer is less full, or lift them out when fuller.

I tend to put the annoyingly large stuff like pizza's besides the sliding baskets, which typically contain a selection of veg in one and icecream/lollies/a bit of fruit in the other.
At the bottom are the rest of the veg and fruit, by sort, together with larger cuts of meat.
The middle layer has the rest of the meat and veg a bit mixed up. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic