asparagus

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tduckwo_876

how do i plant asp[aragus
Tigger
KG Regular

Firstly - in a weed free bed that you keep weed free. Assuming you're planting first or second year plants, they need to have their roots spread out, usually on a ridge. I grow mine closer together than most recommend, but I am a big fan of close cropping. If you're a beginner gardener, I suggest you look up any of the known veg experts, or do a search on google or BBC, and follow their advice.

I have two substantial asparagus beds, in their fourth year, so have great hopes of a good crop soon. You have to exercise great restraint and cut nothing in year's one and two, very little in year three and hope for great things in year four, with more to follow.

They have a six week cropping season, followed by a period of fern growth, then nothing, then you cut them back and give a generous topping of an enriched mulch.

What I can say is - it's worth it. Nothing tastes finer than asparagus picked, cooked and served within 15 minutes. Georgeous!
Thegardnerthatfishes
KG Regular

Do I really have to leave my asparagus untouched for a second year? I've been watching my spears appear this week and looking forward to my first taste of homegrown asparagus. Can I take a small sample or must I restrain myself for another year?
nog
KG Regular

When do you cut down the furns in the first and second years. I have grown mine from 1 year crowns and seeds.
Tigger
KG Regular

You leave the ferns until late autumn, then top dress them generously.

As for cutting them in year 2 - I don't suppose the odd spear would do much harm, but they really need to establish themselves to be prolific and all the books say 3 years.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi TGTF,
It is not unknown to take a very small crop in the second year and I know that it is very tempting to take a crop but your rewards next year will be even greater if can resist the temptation.
JB.
PT
KG Regular

I used to have an asparagus bed, but it got invaided badly by bindweed, so I had to dig it up, and they didn't like that. Got a six dotted around the plot now, all self sown.

I like eating it raw, tasts like crunchy peas. Not to much gets home. Hope the wife dosn't read this.
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic