flymo mowers

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bebilja
KG Regular

A number of years ago I had a flymo hover with a two stroke engine which was great for cutting steep banks.I have moved to a house with a steep grassy slope and I was wondering if these machines still exist? I think a four stroke engine would seize because of the angle of the slope would mean that the oil would was only at one side of the engine
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Belbija, i know the four stroke ones can be used on banks of up to 45degrees.

I'm not sure if they still make two stroke ones or not.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

there are loads of electric ones about.. use a thick(2.5mm) extension lead with a rcd circuit breaker and you shoud have no problems. or even use a cheap generator if the leads too long.
Clive.
KG Regular

I am out of touch with things Flymo...but as an alternative the former Allen range of air cushion mowers are now with Hayter.. http://www.hayter.co.uk/info/allen.html
http://www.hayter.co.uk/products/homeow ... rol-mower/
With 4 stroke engines that, in a quick check of their site, seem to be listed for use up to 45 degrees on the larger models....although the first model seems to list 20 degrees.

Clive.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear BB,
I have used both and imho the allen is the better machine. A trick we used to do in the early eighties (in those days before the birth of 'Elf and his annoying chums) on very steep banks was to tie off the deadman's handle with rope and dangle the machine on another rope and swing it like a pendulum on the bank whilst staying safely on level ground at the top. The snag was that if the rope came undone it could scalp tourists on the path below or come to rest in a flowerbed or at the bottom of the cliff. Oh those were the days.... It has reminded me just why I moved to the flattest area of the country I could find!
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic