Runner Bean Seeds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GIB
KG Regular

Last year i grew some Polestar runner beans which cropped very well. I kept some beans for seeds - is it ok to plant these or should new beans be purchased from a seed supplier?

thanks
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening GIB, as long as the plants were disease free last year, they will be just fine.
And of course, as long as you have stored the seed correctly. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

It depends how fussy you are about uniformity. If there were neighbouring beans when you grew them last year, chances are they will have cross-pollinated with them. But I wouldn't worry about it too much: runner beans are much of a muchness, in my view, so your beans ought to have characteristics very close to Polestar's if they have. If there isn't, and they haven't, then there should be few concerns. My only reservation would be that the seeds are mature enough. They need to have fully-formed, and the pods should have dried to a brown crisp if the seeds within are to be fully ripe. You'll soon find out if they don't come up, though.
macmac
KG Regular

we used to buy new seed every year mail order with mixed results then "my favourite welshman" down the lottie gave me some seed he'd saved and we had 100% germination and splendid beans,he's given us seed every year since .He's very selective when saving the seed and obviously has years of experience.So give it a go. :)
sanity is overrated
Greenman
KG Regular

GIB

I always save seed from runners. The best plan is to grow one variety, then at the end of the summer decide which beans look the best and leave them on the plant until completely dry. Then you will have good seed the next year. Hope this helps
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Gandhi
GIB
KG Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies. The seeds had dried well on the plants that were left at the end of the crop. I planted them a few weeks ago and the germination has been very good. Its just that the leaves are unusually dark green compared to other runner bean plants that i have seen for sale which i why i wondered if the plants will produce flowers/beans.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear GIB, regarding the dark green leaves, it just sounds as if you have provided them with the ideal growing conditions.

I think you should end up with a bumper crop. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Greenman
KG Regular

GIB

I would agree with oldherbaceous. The plants you see on sale are very often kept too warm and badly looked after. Yours sound ideal for runners. You will have a good crop.
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Gandhi
GIB
KG Regular

OH and Greenman

Many thanks for your reassurance! i look forward to seing them produce a bumper crop! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic