Who has succumbed to putting first seeds in!!!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I notice that a couple of you have planted in your onion sets (not sure whether this was outside or in the greenhouse). I've got some sets this year and noticed this morning that several of them have started to sprout so am anxious to get them planted. Would it be better to plant them in modules in my mini greenhouse or can they go outside now if I plant them in a slight ridge and earth them up to protect them from any bad weather?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
If you have not got the ground prepared for the Shallots to go in plant them in 9cm pots and plant then out later when you are ready for them.
They do not suffer when planted out.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

What a glorious day today. Planted First Earlies under a cloche - 20 rocket and 20 Maris Bard - and double dug a trench for the Sweet Peas.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I put in 10 Arran Pilot , 10 Sharpe's Express and 10 Dunluce. I have protected them all with what could sarcastically be called a cloche, though it's only some clear polythene sheeting held down with bricks.

I read a good idea for holding fleeces, polythrene, etc in place. The cardboard cartons of milk or fruit juice should be rinsed out and filled with water. Thses can then be used to hold the fleece down. Simple what?
mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
richard p
KG Regular

i use the plastic 4 pint milk containers,(smaller ones arnt heavy enough) something chews the lids occassionally , this winter some have split , pressumably the uv in the light makes them brittle enough to crack when frozen... after a windy night all the leaky empty ones are down one end of the garden against the fence ready for disposal.
CatBud
KG Regular

I put some seeds in today and they are now on trays on my windowsill.

Veg:
Courgette's Soleil
Cucumber Marketmore
Tomato Gardener's Delight
Tomato Minibel
Pepper Sweet Minimix

Flowers:
Giant Sunflower
Lupin
Sweet Pea Spencer Mixed
HollyHock Majorette Mixed
Sweet Sultan Mixed

I'm very excited! Might be putting my greenhouse up next week!
Geoff
KG Regular

Thought I would show you the Earlies I planted 10th March that I uncovered this weekend. I usually only grow Rocket as First Earlies but as JB has been praising the taste of Maris Bard for years I thought I would try them as well this year. I expected them to be slower than Rocket but in the picture Maris Bard are to the left and Rocket to the right. It might be that the rows run East-West so the Maris Bard are on the South side of the cloche. They have both grown almost too well with all the sunshine this Spring so putting the cloche back for the odd cold night won't be as easy as usual!
Earlies.jpg
Earlies.jpg (160.73 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
Both rows seem to be in really good fettle. Hope you have a good crop and that you enjoy the Maris Bard as much as I do.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic