Onions in polytunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Lady Gee
KG Regular

This time last year I asked if anyone had tried growing onion sets in a polytunnel. I did not get any response but I went ahead and tried it anyway. And it was very successful. I put them in in early April.

This year I put in autumn sets in October - they are looking good.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lady Gee, sorry you didn't get a reply last time, so thank-you for letting us all know how well they have done.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

When do you think your autumn planted ones will be ready? It would be a good use of the greenhouse/tunnel if they were ready earlier than outdoor ones. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Lady Gee
KG Regular

In 2008 I planted the sets on 15th March & started harvesting them in July - as I needed an onion.

Re the autumn sets I planted them on 21st October - variety is Radar. I am hoping to start using them in June. Will try & remember to post the outcome.
chicken4
KG Regular

This is really interesting - I thought about putting onions in my PT but thought they would bolt from the heat. Please let us know how you get on. I might just do a tiny row of 10 sets just to see how they get on.

I do know of another person who put the winter sets in the PT last winter (2007) and they started to harvest them from the end of April 08 but I'm not sure when they planted them.
Try to be organic, but finding it hard
Lady Gee
KG Regular

Hi Chicken 4 - do try it I was pleased with the ones I did last year, None bolted - but it was a poor summer.

Today I just planted my left over sets very closely in pt to give me 'spring onions' - seed had not germinated well.

I did the same with some of the autumn sets & just harvested those as spring onions.
chicken4
KG Regular

Lady Gee wrote:Hi Chicken 4 - do try it I was pleased with the ones I did last year, None bolted - but it was a poor summer.

Today I just planted my left over sets very closely in pt to give me 'spring onions' - seed had not germinated well.

I did the same with some of the autumn sets & just harvested those as spring onions.

Planted a row of 12 this morning - i'll report on the outcome later in the year. I will plant some over wintering ones in the PT too
Try to be organic, but finding it hard
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic