Early Second Early or Maincrop?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Timboy
KG Regular

My neighbouring plotholder has planted some International Kidney Potatoes he was sold them as First Earlies, He told me this morning another plotholder went to buy some, the person in the shop checked in a catalogue and said they were maincrop. Anybody out there know for sure? Timboy
macmac
KG Regular

Hi Timboy,
this is very interesting because we bought some at a local garden center along with other earlies,we're growing small quantities of nine varieties.We just thought they were earlies but i just googled them and got several answers..second earlies..early maincrop.. salad.So as is often the case on our plot we'll just wait and see what comes up! :? :?
p.s. a neighbour recommended them she said they were delicious.
sanity is overrated
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There are a few varieties of potato that can either be dug as an early or left to bulk up as a second or maincrop.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

International kidney are what's sold commercially as "Jersey Royals".
Grown outside Jersey they are a poor first early (which is what they are). left to grow large they are usually rubbish. IMHO
macmac
KG Regular

Oh alan i'm really disappointed now!
Out of interest which varieties do you grow ?We looking for some nice earlies.we usually grow desiree maincrop and we're happy with them. :)
sanity is overrated
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi macmac

Sorry to disappoint. Didn't mean to.

This year I am growing Red Duke of York and Swift. Other good first earlies I have grown are: Duke of York, Maris Bard, Epicure and Orla. But quality depends on soil and where you are growing.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear macmac, i'm growing International Kidney, and mine will be marvellous so i would not worry unduly. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Compo
KG Regular

I agree with OH, International Kidney are a good first early in the right soil and climate, they do very well down here in Mild Somerset, and keep me going until the main crop arrive, I think they dont do so well in wet and cold Wales (Waiting for the replies) . They (IMHO)

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
alan refail
KG Regular

Compo

What I meant was they are "poor" compared to one's expectations after having good Jersey Royals. I stick by my other advice: don't let them get big. They are a first early.

BTW this is not a "wet and cold" part of Wales. The peninsula could produce some cracking earlies (if anyone could be bothered to grow them! - too interested in sheep). Some of the best still come from Pembrokeshire away across the bay.

[edit] Having said that, I go out and find a ground frost - rapidly being warmed off by brilliant sunshine.
Compo
KG Regular

Someone might correct me if I am wrong, but the source of the IK seed potato is the same as the Jersey Royal source they just cannot use the Jersey Royal name on the UK mainland so cannot understand why with the temperatures we have in Somerset currently higher than Channelbe Islands I don't see why there should be a quality difference, as I said mine were really tasty last year, as good as any Jersey tatty in the shops.

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Granny
KG Regular

I've grown International Kidney for several years now and they taste very good. We're very dry here, in general. I don't know if that makes a difference. But I agree, it must depend on soil - and personal preference.
------------------
Granny
Greenman
KG Regular

International Kidney or "Jersey Royals" - not a patch on our Cornish earlies :D
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Gandhi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Greenman,
Cornish earlies were to be called Cornish Queens according to a campaign run a couple of years ago but it appears not to have got off the ground. Certainly they are super spuds but they do rank with Pembroke Earlies which are the ones sold around here quickly followed by the Shropshire Earlies which I find really something special.
Somehow the Pembroke do not have the flavour of the Cornish or the Shropshire ones. I suspect it is the soil that they are grown in.
Do you know the name of the potato used for the Cornish Earlies?
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic