scorching and polytunnels

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

kranser
KG Regular

A couple of days ago someone (who seemed to know what they were talking about - but could have easily been talking rubbish) said that I should not grow cucumbers in the middle (hottest point) of my open ended poly tunnel, but instead I should grow them near the door so they catch the breeze and to prevent scorching on hot sunny days.

I have some cucumber seedlings in their now (with about 4-5 leaves), and some leaves have gotten rather white - mostly around the edges - so I'm beginning to believe that the person was right.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks,
Kranser (Steve).
richard p
KG Regular

i grow cuecumbers in a 30 by 14 tunnel, normally only open the door on the south end, the thermometer in the north end only only goes upto 50 degrees :o provided the ground is wet enough for condensation to form on the plastic the plants cope with the heat. ive found the increased airflow from opening both ends drys the air and soil out and the plants suffer. it may not be ideal cucumber conditions but they are sharing the space with other crops.
as with many things you will get as many different answeres as there are "experts" prepared to comment.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Steve

I think what you were told may be useful advice for when temperatures are high in the summer. I tend to grow my cucumbers near (rather than at) the door ends. This is mainly because, like Richard, I have to fit other crops in. They always seem to perform well for me.
However, I suspect what your cucumber plants are suffering from is the opposite of heat - namely cold, which will make the leaves turn white. Cucumbers are such fast growers in ideal conditions that I sow mine in the third week in April and, with a bit of care, they grow on fine.
kranser
KG Regular

Thanks Alan - that is very helpful advice. I think I agree with you that they may be too cold - as we have had a little cooler weather lately!

I guess I'm too early! Fortunately, I only sowed a few of my seeds - so I will try again in a couple of weeks time.

By the way, is there any advantage in germinating the cucumber seeds in the airing cupboard vs directly planting the seeds in the poly tunnel?

Kranser.
alan refail
KG Regular

I sow mine in modules on the propagator, then pot on and later plant out. You do need heat to start them.
Geoff
KG Regular

Another profile with no location - could be another SW France!
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Geoff

Good point!

I recall from an earlier post that Steve/kranser is in Norfolk.
kranser
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Hi Geoff

Good point!

I recall from an earlier post that Steve/kranser is in Norfolk.

Yes Alan - correctly remembered!

I'm going to try to figure out how to set my profile now!

Kranser.
kranser
KG Regular

Should be all set now :-)
richard p
KG Regular

i wouldnt plant any seed that is mouse meal sized directly in the ground, all my courgettes , beans, melons etc are all started either in the propagater in the conservatory or in large plastic storage boxes with a lid in the tunnel.
the pea gutters go accross a couple of tressels with a sprinkling of mouse traps on top till the peas are up, or hung on string from the tunnel hoops.

small seed like carrot, radish , spring onion are fine sown direct in the ground
kranser
KG Regular

Thanks Richard. I guess the airing cupboard is my propagator then ;-)
Primrose
KG Regular

A week ago I sowed mini cucumber seeds in pots to germinate on a west facing window sill. They're already up so I'm not sure that a heated propagator or putting in the airing cupboard is necessary.
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose

The warmth in your house was enough for them to germinate. Out of the house they will need heat, unless sown very late in the season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic